Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from LR to PS

Real Name
    Joe

Moving from LR to PS

Recently I have not been able to move pictures from Lightroom to Photoshop using : Photo; Edit in; Edit in Adobe Photoshop 20 20. This selection is 'greyed out' preventing its selection. This seems to have started after a recent upgrade, but I am not sure when it actually started.
    I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Moving from LR to PS

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    Recently I have not been able to move pictures from Lightroom to Photoshop using : Photo; Edit in; Edit in Adobe Photoshop 20 20. This selection is 'greyed out' preventing its selection. This seems to have started after a recent upgrade, but I am not sure when it actually started.
    I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
    Just tested it here. Works as it should except if I use that method to open a DNG file........ that way it opens in PS, but not in Camera raw. This has been mentioned here before.

If you cannot get any file to open I would suggest first running the Optimise Catalogue in LR and then use the Creative Cloud App to check that LR and PS and ACR are all up to date. Check that the CC App itself is up to date first.

Real Name
    Dan

Just tried mine with a Canon *.cr2 file. Works fine. Opens directly in photoshop, not in camera raw.

I searched online and found one thread about this, but the link to the page with a solution was dead. I'd search more online. A last resort would be reinstalling Lighroom. But I would back up my catalog immediately before doing that.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

You seem to think that this happened after an upgrade. I wonder if the file association link is broken because what Adobe seems to do is leave some of the old files and directory structure behind, even when the software appears to have been removed. This caused me some issues a few years ago. Lightroom may not be able to find the link to Photoshop.

Try this advice from Adobe: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/...lications.html

Real Name
    Dan

I have a hunch that this is not a matter of file associations, but it's simple to test for that. Option 1: find a .psd file on your drive and double-click. It should open in photoshop. Option 2: type "file association" (no quotation marks) after the start button and page down to psd to see if it says Photoshop. if not, fix it. if that is already set right, then this is not a matter of file associations. I think it's something internal to LR.

There is no need to have Photoshop set as the association for TIF files. I have TIF files set to Irfanview.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I have a hunch that this is not a matter of file associations, but it's simple to test for that. Option 1: find a .psd file on your drive and double-click. It should open in photoshop. Option 2: type "file association" (no quotation marks) after the start button and page down to psd to see if it says Photoshop. if not, fix it. if that is already set right, then this is not a matter of file associations. I think it's something internal to LR.

There is no need to have Photoshop set as the association for TIF files. I have TIF files set to Irfanview.
    Not quite what I am trying to explain, Dan.

The problem that I had before was that the Adobe software was pointing to an old directory structure and could not find the software because it had been uninstalled, but the structure was left behind.

Moving from LR to PS

In my case it wasn't a Lightroom issue, but somewhat related because directory structure was all messed up and even installing and uninstalling things did not work. Adobe 2nd level support could not get it to work either and I was told to make due for a few more days as the next major Adobe update would clean up the issue. The Adobe tech took over my computer and did a lot of cleanup work first to ensure that I would have a clean install.

This might be something worth phoning Adobe support about.

Real Name
    Richard

Never had this problem because I use Adobe Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw to open my RAW images... While, there may be advantages to using LR, I find that I can do everything in Bridge and ACR that can be done with LR...

LR "may" have an advantage if you are filing hundreds of thousands of images but, I file my images using Bridge after I have opened them using ACR and have had absolutely no problem finding any image that I am seeking...

Real Name
    Dan

Manfred,

sorry, I was confused because the link in your post is about file associations.

There is stuff on the web about the internal link (that is, the link between the adobe programs) getting broken by an update. Here is a link I found on a page of the Lightroom Queen's website:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cl...hop.html?red=a

Makes sense to me because a clean installation wouldn't know about the old links.

I had noticed that even if you set Creative Cloud to uninstall old versions when you update, it leaves the old directory contents in place. I recently moved all of them to the desktop rather than deleting them so that I could put them back if needed. So far, they haven't been.

Joe, when you update, do you have Creative cloud delete the old versions?

Dan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Manfred,

sorry, I was confused because the link in your post is about file associations.
    My answer was unclear - I was really suggesting that the issue could be that Lightroom could not link to Photoshop because the link was broken. The example was more about broken file association links, not really this deeper level where we have a software to software handoff.

I can't test this idea, because my version on Lightroom works well with Photoshop, but trying to set Photoshop as a secondary editor might work, through Lightroom's Preferences:

Moving from LR to PS

The other workaround is to open the file in Photoshop, which will invoke ACR which has the same functionality as LR Develop Module.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I have been in a bit of a funk recently and had not been able to get interested interested in any activity. Today I garnered some enthusiasm and started by deciding to uninstall and reinstall Light room which activity in in progress. I will update you asap.
    Thanks again for your help

Real Name
    Joe

Today I uninstalled Lightroom and reinstalled it. No success. I then uninstalled it again and then installed a previous version 9.1 Still no luck. I am now going through all the other suggestions and trying them one at a timem

Real Name
    Dan

You might want to uninstall and reinstall photoshop, if you haven’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Today I uninstalled Lightroom and reinstalled it. No success. I then uninstalled it again and then installed a previous version 9.1 Still no luck. I am now going through all the other suggestions and trying them one at a timem
    Joe - Call Adobe Support. They have likely seen this before and can offer you a quick fix.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

It seems like a daft question at this stage but I assume you have set Photoshop as the default editor for LR?

P.S. Or have you tried setting another editor to see if that works?
    Last edited by pnodrog; 4th April 2020 at 11:59 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    It seems like a daft question at this stage but I assume you have set Photoshop as the default editor for LR?

P.S. Or have you tried setting another editor to see if that works?
    Thanks Paul, I have not. As it worked before I did not think that could be wrong. However it is one thin I will try.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Joe - Call Adobe Support. They have likely seen this before and can offer you a quick fix.
    Thanks Manfred. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop first and if that doesn't fix it , then its Adobe Support.

Real Name
    Joe

So I removed and reinstalled Photoshop today. That did not solve the problem , however that exercise made me realise that there are three! releasess of Photoshop installed on my computer 19,1.9, 20.0.9 and 21,1,1. . But it starts with 19.1.9 every time. I don't know why?. I did not consciously do this, and don't know if there is an advantage having this arrangement.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Joe - uninstall the old versions. That might be your problem.

Real Name
    Dan

So I removed and reinstalled Photoshop today. That did not solve the problem , however that exercise made me realise that there are three! releasess of Photoshop installed on my computer 19,1.9, 20.0.9 and 21,1,1. . But it starts with 19.1.9 every time. I don't know why?. I did not consciously do this, and don't know if there is an advantage having this arrangement.
    If I recall, when you update the apps, CC gives you the choice of whether to uninstall the old versions at the same time.

But I agree with Manfred--uninstall the old versions first. If that doesn't work, I would uninstall and reinstall the apps again, once the old versions are gone.

Real Name
    Joe

I uninstalled all except the latest version of Photoshop and it started working, not flawlessly, but working non the same. I think I may have introduced some glitches while working on the Lightroom versions ,so I plan to go back and install Lightroom, latest version and see how that works. Thank you all for your help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast