Thread: Peyto Lake - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Peyto Lake - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada

I'm cleaning up and adding image to my web site. I seem to remember Trev posting an image of Peyto Lake a few days ago, so I thought I would clean up one I had.

The colour of the water in the lake is natural and is common in the lakes in the Canadian Rockies. It is caused by fine "rock flower" made the water grinding the rocks in the stream beds together that creates this material.

This shot was taken mid-to late October and there was already a decent accumulation of snow on the ground. This is a very popular lookout over the lake. Access is via the Icefields Parkway that connects Banff and Jasper National Parks, in Alberta, Canada.

Peyto Lake - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Peyto Lake - Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada

Lovely

Real Name
    Dan

nicely done.

I vividly recall being startled when I first encountered the color of that glacial run-off. I was a teenager and bicycled from Jasper to Banff. I hadn't ever see the West before, and this was quite an introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I'm cleaning up and adding image to my web site. I seem to remember Trev posting an image of Peyto Lake a few days ago, so I thought I would clean up one I had.
    Great to see your shot Manfred - it's gorgeous. When we were there it was summer and humid, so the air was a lot less clear than your time of year. I would even have braved the snow for that one myself!

NZ's alpine lakes are similar to what you have described, having lots of rock flower on their beds, and the slighted breeze causes the lakes to turn from a dark blue to a beautiful duck-egg colour.

Real Name
    António Correia

Beautiful place.
    Never been there and I think never will but as Trev says, I have seen similar scenarios in New Zealand. (another beautiful country !)
    Cheers !

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Pretty stunning.

Real Name
    Peter

Lovely image Manfred, I’ve looked at this more than once, now without commenting. I don’t know if you deliberately chose to include the footsteps in the foreground snow, was it a homage to the saying “take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footsteps”
    Their inclusion adds rather than detracts IYSWIM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    David

Wonderful scene beautifully captured

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    Lovely image Manfred, I’ve looked at this more than once, now without commenting. I don’t know if you deliberately chose to include the footsteps in the foreground snow, was it a homage to the saying “take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footsteps”
    Their inclusion adds rather than detracts IYSWIM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had taken a number of shots of this scene and this one is the one that was the one I liked best. I find that the footprints break up the patch of snow quite nicely and add texture to the scene. I don't think the shot would have worked as well with a large white area of virgin snowfall there.

I think that might be my quirky sense of humour coming through too. We have a pristine wilderness scene, but someone always has to climb the fence to get closer to the edge of the cliff.