Thread: Hartland Covered Bridge

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Hartland Covered Bridge

I spent some time this evening redoing this panoramic image of the Hartland Covered Bridge in Hartland, New Brunswick, Canada. It's the longest covered bridge in the world.

It looks best in Lightbox, so click on the image to open Lightbox mode.

Hartland Covered Bridge

Re: Hartland Covered Bridge

Lovely image Manfred. That is one long bridge...

I know they are covered to protect the bridge from weather, in particular ice, and maybe for other practical purposes, but am I correct that in some parts at least they are known as "Kissing Bridges"? Assumedly because sweethearts could find some privacy there for a quick snog...

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Yes. I like this.

I just commented on another image that employed strong linear aspects.

I always consider the many ways of how to address a long, narrow, regular shaped "thing", like this bridge. A few times I have addressed it more head on, and that seems to work sometimes: I think that the foreground (triangle) and especially the background (palette), make this work.

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    Lovely image Manfred. That is one long bridge...

I know they are covered to protect the bridge from weather, in particular ice, and maybe for other practical purposes, but am I correct that in some parts at least they are known as "Kissing Bridges"? Assumedly because sweethearts could find some privacy there for a quick snog...
    The covering was there to protect the structural (wooden) elements from environmental damage.

The only "Kissing Bridge" that I know of is the West Montrose Covered Bridge, near Waterloo, Canada. I see this every so often when visiting my brother-in-law and sister-in-law who live fairly close to it. The image is not as strong (no good viewpoints to shoot from). The "toll" to cross the bridge was a kiss, that was taken in relative privacy. As the sign says, its the last covered bridge in the Province of Ontario. I've run in to quite a few in the Province of Quebec. The oxblood red colour is quite common on the Quebec covered bridges too.

West Montrose is Old Order Mennonite country, so one still sees a lot of horses and buggies here.

Hartland Covered Bridge

Hartland Covered Bridge