Thread: doors: trying again

Real Name
    Dan

doors: trying again

I posted a different version of this some time ago. It's from an old neighborhood in Trondheim. The version I posted was a very tight crop, just the doors and door frames, which seemed uncomfortably tight.

I'm spending some of our time in isolation redoing some old photos to see if they are salvageable. Today I redid this one. I loosened the crop, cloned out some distractions on the frames, toned down the mailbox, and fiddled with luminosity masks. Not sure whether it's worth keeping.

And no, I don't have any more material on the right, so I can't include the entire light. I do have one much looser framing, but it's too loose.

C&C welcome, as always.

doors: trying again

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: doors: trying again

Dan - what strikes me about this image are all of the distractions that cut across the edge of the frame or are too close to it. The house number is too close to the edge on the left side of the image and the light, house number and mailbox on the right. My eyes are drawn straight to those. The flower pots on the bottom are less of a distraction, but that might be related to the other elements being even more distracting.

Real Name
    Claudio

I really like it. I would only maybe reduce brightness of door on left and saturate tiny bit and probably cheat by cloning out the the number , light and box...looks like could be easy to clone it. Otherwise great image Dan.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I was a bit distracted by reflection of the roof on the glass

I am in agreement with the previous comments.

If this was my image, I would go a little wider to clearly show the light/names/plant pots etc and crop the top to remove at least half of the roof reflection area. If those options weren't possible, or alternatively if the distractions couldn't be cloned out, I would ditch the shot and put the experience down to another of those good ideas which didn't quite work out in reality.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for all the comments. I suspect it's headed for the discard pile. However, I like the reflection. If you look closely, you will see a different reflection behind the screen on the viewer's left. I think I would bring that out if I were to keep this.