Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Superfly

Real Name
    Claudio

Superfly

I always find the best way to learn Macro is as ugly as they are, Flies are easy to capture when overcast.

C and C welcome

F14 , SS1/60 with flash and softbox. ISO 100
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Superfly

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    I always find the best way to learn Macro is as ugly as they are, Flies are easy to capture when overcast.

C and C welcome

F14 , SS1/60 with flash and softbox. ISO 100
    Flies are great subjects to capture Claudio. What I do like about the images you are posting is the framing and also that you are getting down to the level of these critters.

One thing I'll mention is that your posted images are small, this one just 700px wide. When I was concentrating on bugs and critters I set myself a target of producing images of a specific size which forced me to also concentrate on my image IQ. In the early days it was 1200 px and over the years has gone up to around 17/1800 px wide display size.

Real Name
    Claudio

Thanks Graham. Yeh I'm struggling to find a way to post my images. CiC automatically downsized the image size even when I post larger size. I've tried using BB code on Flickr and that ain't working either. Would creating an album on CiC help?

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    Thanks Graham. Yeh I'm struggling to find a way to post my images. CiC automatically downsized the image size even when I post larger size. I've tried using BB code on Flickr and that ain't working either. Would creating an album on CiC help?
    I have no idea about the CiC album Claudio but it was discussed here a while ago. I'm sure someone can help.

Smugmug is what I use and here's my method, (I suspect Flickr is the same);

a) Open image in SM
    b) Right click and 'Copy image address'
    c) Go back to CiC
    d) Click on the 4th icon along called 'Insert image' in farthest right of the six boxes.
    e) A dialogue box will open where you paste the image address you saved in b)

It will look like this ..................

Superfly

You will not see the actual image unless you 'Go Advanced' or 'Post Reply'. For info my images on SM are sized around 17 to 1900 px
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 18th April 2020 at 10:13 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Claudio,

Like Grahame, I link to Smugmug. However, if you search, there were several threads a few months ago explaining how to link from Flickr, which is free.

It's hard to tell at such a small size, but the photo looks a little soft to me. At f/14, you should be able to get sharp focus at least from the near edge of the near eye to the back antenna, if not more. Particularly at this small size, I can't see why you didn't. It doesn't appear to be a misplaced point of focus.

I'll post one here taken at f/13 for comparison. My default for bugs is f/13, 1/125, diffused flash, ISO 100-400 (varying depending on the need for ambient illumination of the background). This one used those settings, at ISO 200. I think I took it with a 36mm extension tub, which is why is as close as it is.

Dan

Superfly

CinC albums limit you to image size, Claudio. Offhand I think it is 700 pixels as well as a KB limit

It should be possible to do a direct link from Flickr but I use P base so I can't give any actual advice.

Those very shiny 'bottle' flies are always difficult to photograph so you did well with that image.