Thread: Blood Moon

Real Name
    Ted

Blood Moon

Still learning Layers and stuff in the GIMP, I managed to produce this rather striking image:

Blood Moon

Getting a little better at making masks but I have a loong way to go in the fancy selection department ...

Comments welcome.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 21st April 2020 at 05:50 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Blood Moon

If you fill the foreground with a cloudy/gloomy effect, instead of sunlight, it will have a stronger effect; that is my feeling only. The present result is appreciated, though!

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    If you fill the foreground with a cloudy/gloomy effect, instead of sunlight, it will have a stronger effect; that is my feeling only. The present result is appreciated, though!
    Yes, I did already tone down the foreground slightly to bring out the moon slightly more. The image is a modification of one I call "Night & Day" where the foreground was much brighter. But, in this image, the main subject is becoming the moon more and more.

I also tinted the clouds a bit just now and applied a little transparency to let the moon peek through. Refreshing your browser screen should show that to you.

I'm now thinking that there are lots of leading lines going towards the middle but there is not much there ...

Thanks for commenting. Namaste.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 21st April 2020 at 06:04 PM.

Real Name
    Daniel

I like it. Reminds me of the old TV show, The Outer Limits.

Real Name
    les norman

Stunning i love it

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Getting a little better at making masks but I have a loong way to go in the fancy selection department ...

Comments welcome.
    As they say 'practice makes perfect' Ted. I'm pretty sure that perseverance with this scene and that tricky skyline will make things come together.

I have spent the past few evenings watching various videos on selections and practising and have come to the conclusion that the 'demonstration' images used are selected based on superb edge definition and contrast which makes all easier.

Here's a play I had with your idea. My selection for the mask was based upon the Blue channel of the RGB as in the B&W version this will show the 'greens' (foliage) in the blacks/darks range and the 'blues' (sky) in the whites/lights range.

This mask is then 'tuned' using contrast and then further tuned by brushing with black or white in an 'overlay' mode. In 'overlay' mode in PS brushing with black makes darks darker and brushing with white makes lights lighter. This is all done carefully so as to try and avoid frying edges.

Following this the 'background' (moon scene) was then placed in position and the mask being further tweaked by levels along with overlay brushing to reduce halos.

Blood Moon

For the foreground I made the left 'orange' to coincide with the colour from the moon but then totally failed in trying to make the right side bluer, no doubt because I forgot the colour mixing basics

Grahame
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 22nd April 2020 at 07:44 AM.

Real Name
    Ted

Splendid job, Grahame!

Good comment about those selection tutorials where the example target is always solid with nice edges as opposed to my skinny tree-branches with lens flare up against the sky. I have yet to do serious brushing or any channels work, hoping to practice layers and masks beforehand. Thanks indeed for your fine example ...

Real Name
    Nandakumar

WOW, that is stunning!!!

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Ted - objects with sharp edges are definitely the easiest ones to select and areas of an image like leaves or hair are the most challenging. There are many techniques to do this. Some like using colour channel masks are more universal while others can be specific to the editing software. We often "feather" the edges by a few pixels to get that look.

As Grahame has demonstrated in his example, we want natural looking transitions where the various elements blend together nicely, rather than looking like they have been cut out with scissors and pasted onto a background.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Ted - objects with sharp edges are definitely the easiest ones to select and areas of an image like leaves or hair are the most challenging. There are many techniques to do this. Some (like using colour channel masks) are more universal while others can be specific to the editing software.
    Thank you, Manfred.

As to color channel masks and the classic blue sky behind twigs, leaves, etc., I now see that one way might be to do a 'select by color' on a blue channel of such an image. However, details of some other techniques for that particular scene would be appreciated!

My current output and it's three layer source images can be found here, if anyone wants to play:

http://kronometric.org/phot/processing/GIMP/

We often "feather" the edges by a few pixels to get that look.
    Yes, to date I've been feathering and leaving anti-aliasing on if appropriate.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 23rd April 2020 at 12:55 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

I like the final image quite a bit and at first glance it seems realistic. However the shadows from the trees indicate a light source from camera left.

However, this doesn't, to me at least, damage the vibrance of this image one whit!

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I like the final image quite a bit and at first glance it seems realistic. However the shadows from the trees indicate a light source from camera left.
    Good point, others have said the same elsewhere. I should look for a moon lit from the left like Grahame's.

However, this doesn't, to me at least, damage the vibrance of this image one whit!
    Thank you, Richard!

Real Name
    Ted

Good point, others have said the same elsewhere. I should look for a moon lit from the left like Grahame's.
    Still playing while "confined to barracks":

Blood Moon
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 26th April 2020 at 04:40 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Still playing while "confined to barracks"
    It's getting better Ted.

I started having a go with your files but I just could not get a cloud to look natural in the composite so still thinking how to tackle that.

Edit .................

More videos and more experimenting.

a) Firstly PP your original cloud image to get an even exposure top to bottom, increase contrast/brightness and adjust for a 'good' blue. Do not blow the whites.

b) Use this to make a mask from the 'Red Chanel' of the RGB. The blue sky will now be black or near black and the clouds white to grey. Use levels to increase the blacks to just 255 and increase the mid to whites as much as possible without frying edges.

c) Use this as a mask to mask the original blue fluffy cloud image. The secret I then found after much frustration was to simply completely de-saturate the blue of the sky.

d) Any areas of the mask that were not full transparent ('white) can simply be brushed over carefully with white. This being most critical where the cloud goes over the edge of the moon. As the clouds are on a separate layer over the moon they can be adjusted in brightness/contrast as required.

Blood Moon
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 26th April 2020 at 09:41 AM.

Real Name
    Ted

Thanks for the further help, Grahame.

I must pay more attention to each layer instead of trying to do it all at once!

One key is my clumsy use of selection in the creation of the mask for the clouds layer! That would be instead of using the image and it's own modified tones like your good self, which Pat David also seems to do here:

https://patdavid.net/2011/10/getting...ity-masks.html

Here we go with the clouds along your suggested lines:

Blood Moon

Thanks again and stay as safe as possible!
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 26th April 2020 at 05:06 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

This is the best among edits!!!

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    This is the best among edits!!!
    Thank you, Nandakumar. I am flattered that you are following this thread!

Real Name
    raymond

Love the creativity shown.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by selig1656 View Post
    Love the creativity shown.
    Thank you, Raymond!