Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: GIMP Threshold Tool is Cool

Real Name
    Ted

GIMP Threshold Tool is Cool

I've been playing with Layer Masks lately and consequently have discovered the "joys" of making good selections. For some images, I've found this tool quite handy:

GIMP Threshold Tool is Cool

The ability to use a particular channel is quite useful. For example, in the above image I could have selected the green channel and made a mask to tone down the leaves while leaving the berries still prominent.

I have no idea what Photoshop offers in this regard, so please pardon me if this is no news to anyone here ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 23rd April 2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Changed the title

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: GIMP Threshold Tool is Cool

Photoshop has this functionality as well.

In my work, I spend a lot of time making and refining masks. I don't use channel masks all that often, but when I do, I will pick the channel with the highest contrast to build my mask with.

Real Name
    Dan

The basic threshold tool in Photoshop is not as sophisticated: it has a single break point rather than two. However, you can subtract masks to have this effect. One can also have a bunch of different masks of this sort at the same time, which is called luminosity masking. A number of people, notably Tony Kuyper, have created Photoshop add-ons that make this much simpler and extend the functionality. One of my goals during our collective isolation is to learn to use luminosity masks well.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    One of my goals during our collective isolation is to learn to use luminosity masks well.
    Me too. I'm playing with split color-toning as we speak!