Thread: Pesuta Wreck

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Pesuta Wreck

This is another old image I've spent a few hours retouching. The Pesuta was an old schooner that was being used as a barge to haul lumber when her tow cable snapped and she washed ashore in 1928. She has been returning back to nature ever since.

One has to time the hike out to it fairly carefully as the access to it is under water during high tide. People that ignore the warnings have been stranded for hours, waiting for the tide to go out. It's a 90 - 120 minute hike in each direction, with no amenities along the route. We started out about an hour before slack low tide and by the time we headed back, the water was starting to creep up.

Location is near Tlell, on Grahame Island, in the Haida Gwaii Islands of the North-West Coast of British Columbia, Canada. This is just below the southern parts of Alaska.

Pesuta Wreck

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Pesuta Wreck

Excellent

Real Name
    Ted

Most atmospheric and not a black-bottomed pixel anywhere ...

Is that a bird or a plane at upper left?

The hike reminds me of Mont St. Michel visited long ago.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Most atmospheric and not a black-bottomed pixel anywhere ...
    Actually I deliberately left a few tiny spots of pure black along where the beach and ship meet.

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Is that a bird or a plane at upper left?
    Best guess is a UFO. It's too indistinct to make out in the image. This is out in the middle of nowhere, so chances are is that it is a bird, as the nearest airport is quite some distance away. There were birds around feeding on the water and along the beach. The shot was taken at an 11mm focal length on an APS-C sensor.

Real Name
    raymond

love the effect of long exposure and done in blk/wht the vast tonal representation, albeit a little loss of details on the ship's wood especially to the right upper part.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by selig1656 View Post
    love the effect of long exposure and done in blk/wht the vast tonal representation, albeit a little loss of details on the ship's wood especially to the right upper part.
    Thanks Raymond - No long exposure here Raymond - shutter speed is 1/800th second. I've done some sharpening already and will look at doing a bit more sharpening in that part of the image to bring out the texture in the weathered wood some more.

Real Name
    Dan

A very interesting image.

I may be responding to the same issue that Raymond was, but with a different idea. The surroundings have much more tonal range than most of the boat. I think I would bring out the detail, not with sharpening necessarily, but by increasing the tonal range and midtone contrast in the boat, while reducing it in the sky. I would also crop a tad. As a very crude start, maybe something like this:

Pesuta Wreck