Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitor recalibration intervals

Real Name
    Bill

Monitor recalibration intervals

My ColorMunki tells me to recalibrate the monitor every 4 weeks, but I hardly ever see any discernable difference between the "Before" and "After" images that are displayed at the conclusion of the procedure.

All of which suggests "it ain't broke" so why "fix it"? I'd be interested to find out how often and under what circumstances other users recalibrate.

Thanks
    Last edited by billtils; 12th May 2020 at 04:15 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Monitor recalibration intervals

Quote Originally Posted by billtils View Post
    My ColorMunki tells me to recalibrate the monitor every 4 weeks, but I hardly ever see any discernable difference between the "Before" and "After" images that are displayed at the conclusion of the procedure.

All of which suggests "it ain't broke" so why "fix it"? I'd be interested to find out how often and underwhat circulstances other users recalibrate.

Thanks
    Usually at least one a year. The old CRT computer screens really needed to be re-calibrated and re-profiled every couple of weeks, but I have found that the modern LCD displays are quite stable throughout their lives. If you start finding a change in what is being displayed, check the connections to the computer and if that is not the problem, it's time to start looking at a new one.

The only time I will do so more often (outside trying something out) is just before judging a national level photo competition. CAPA (Canadian Association for Photographic Art) requires that judges recalibrate and reprofile no more than one week before judging a competition.

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks Manfred - the CRT -v- LCD comparison makes sense. I think quarterly would be reasonable.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Manfred. I have my software set to remind me quarterly, but I intend to change that, as I normally don't bother more than twice a year, if that, and I have never noticed that it mattered much.

Real Name
    Barry

I’m stuck with a laptop [Lenovo] that although running Windows 10, was unfortunately designed not to allow certain functions beyond Windows 7 or 8. As a consequence it will no longer allow me to calibrate the screen with a Spyder 4 nor to alter screen brightness via F11 and F12. In spite of this I’m quite happy with the colour output of prints.

Real Name
    roy

Barry I'm using a Lenovo laptop windows 10 I can alter the brightness with f11 & f12 no problem

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Calibrate monitors?

Ah think, not even annually. My regular graphics card is nine years old. I update the drivers around every 4/5 weeks (which is when a new update becomes available), it's primarily a gamers card.. In all those years I've done two major updates of my graphics caused by new software. It's something which I only do when forced to. I have the confidence to "set it and forget it". I give a cursory look-over when I update the drivers but almost never touch anything.

I would imagine that Colormunki may have access to your PC (if allowed) in order to download your graphics data.That's where the reminders come from. Then they can then use the stats to boast about how many, how often, or simply just how, people who bought the software are using it. Ah'd check my Colormunki set up and switch off any access, to Colormunki, from my PC. Ye can always switch it back on every 6-12 months to check for updates. I don't have anything on my PC which allows auto updates. Do this, then ye can lie back , smugly, and pat yerself on the back.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by royent View Post
    Barry I'm using a Lenovo laptop windows 10 I can alter the brightness with f11 & f12 no problem
    Technically part of the calibration / profiling is to set the output level of the screen. Most people who do photo editing generally run that in the range of 80 cd/sq m and 120 cd/sq m and operate in the same (low) light level workspace (usually no more than 70 lux at the work surface).

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    I would imagine that Colormunki may have access to your PC (if allowed) in order to download your graphics data.That's where the reminders come from.
    xRite are not nearly that sophisticated. When running the profiling software, the user gets to choose how often the nag reminder comes up or they can choose to disable the reminder altogether (which is what I have done). The "nag" function just checks the date on your computer's internal clock and uses that.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    xRite are not nearly that sophisticated. When running the profiling software, the user gets to choose how often the nag reminder comes up or they can choose to disable the reminder altogether (which is what I have done). The "nag" function just checks the date on your computer's internal clock and uses that.
    When using an xRite puck with a NEC wide-gamut monitor like mine, one can't--well-shouldn't--use the xRite software, which doesn't address the monitor's LUT. NEC sells their own software, but it does the same thing in this regard: you tell it the interval after which it should nag you.

An interesting grammatical note: Commonwealth speakers of English often use the plural after a company name, as you did: "xRite are". In the US, people usually use the singular, as I just did" "NEC sells". I never noticed this until I started following this forum, but it seems to be a very consistent difference.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi. Dan I also use an NEC monitor and Spectraview software made for NEC monitors along with an XRite calibration option and have asked the question 'Why use one calibration software over another, NEC V XRite, I use On1 Photo RAW and a guy called Hudson Henry made a video (Calibrating Your Monitor for Color & Tone Accuracy https://www.on1.com/videos/calibrati...tone-accuracy/) he used XRite tools and software on an NEC monitor so I asked the question 'Why use XRite software and not NEC that is made for there monitors'? I am after a couple months still waiting a reply but not holding my breath!!! Russ.

Real Name
    roy

Barry My Lenova is a G50 must be at least 4 years old
    Roy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I have an Eizo monitor for the my photography work. The self-calibration tool on it seems to work well. However, I will give it an additional run through with the Spyder about once a year just to make sure everything is okay.

Real Name
    Dan

Russell,

The reason is that the xRite software controls colors and brightness via the operating system and video adapter. The NEC software controls it via the monitor's internal hardware. I'll paste a quote from the Spectraview User's Guide.

Dan

"The SpectraView system uses a color sensor to take color measurements of the display screen during calibration. The software analyzes these measurements and sends color adjustment commands directly to the display monitor. This means that color adjustments are made in the monitor rather than in the video graphics adapter, resulting in full use of the number of colors available on the graphics adapter and a much brighter image with the maximum possible color gamut. With SpectraView, the video graphics adapter is not used at all to make any gamma or Tone Response Curve corrections to the display, so the full color resolution and fidelity of the system is maintained."

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi. Dan I also use an NEC monitor and Spectraview software made for NEC monitors along with an XRite calibration option and have asked the question 'Why use one calibration software over another, NEC V XRite, I use On1 Photo RAW and a guy called Hudson Henry made a video (Calibrating Your Monitor for Color & Tone Accuracy https://www.on1.com/videos/calibrati...tone-accuracy/) he used XRite tools and software on an NEC monitor so I asked the question 'Why use XRite software and not NEC that is made for there monitors'? I am after a couple months still waiting a reply but not holding my breath!!! Russ.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Russell - to add to Dan's comments, this practice is followed by a number of manufacturers of higher end computer screens. So far as I recall, Eizo, ViewSonic, NEC and BenQ use this practice for some of their products.

I can only write about the BenQ SW2700. My screen has to be connected directly to the computer via the video cable as well as a USB cable during the calibration / profiling process, using the ports built into the screen. Data is written directly to a colour lookup table (LUT) onboard the computer screen and is not stored on the computer itself. In my case, I had to buy an xRite i1 tool as my Colormunki was not compatible with the screen. The Palette Master Element software that ships with the BenQ is apparently based on xRite's i1 Profiler software.

My guess as to your question on why the person who made the video was mistaken in his approach. If you want to take full advantage of what the screen manufacturer has built, their proprietary software should be used.

In my case, I use a dual screen display and use Palette Master Element to calibrate and profile my main screen and use the x-Rite software to calibrate and profile my Dell screen (i don't use it for viewing the images I am editing, just some of the menus and other software).

Real Name
    Barry

The cynic in me says that it's all part of a marketing strategy to reinforce in your mind that you have spent wisely.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The cynic in me says that it's all part of a marketing strategy to reinforce in your mind that you have spent wisely.
    I don't think so. From what I have read, the high-end wide-gamut monitors have functionality that a normal video adapter can't support, so calibration that takes advantage of those funtions requires software that can access the monitor's internal hardware. You can calibrate the monitor with the standard software, but you loose control over that additional functionality.

Real Name
    Peter Bourget

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Technically part of the calibration / profiling is to set the output level of the screen. Most people who do photo editing generally run that in the range of 80 cd/sq m and 120 cd/sq m and operate in the same (low) light level workspace (usually no more than 70 lux at the work surface).
    I calibrate roughly once a month or so but definitely before printing sessions. I find having the output level and lighting set correctly has my prints matching my screen pretty accurately.

Real Name
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by royent View Post
    Barry My Lenova is a G50 must be at least 4 years old
    Roy

Real Name
    David Phillips

I calibrate mine about once a month,but especially before processing raw files.

I use a Color Munki too.Quick and easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast