Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Can a DSLR or mirrorless camera be used for live feed...

Real Name
    Richard

Can a DSLR or mirrorless camera be used for live feed...

In crowded and volatile conditions like today's demonstrations all over the nation, I would much rather handle a smaller camera than a full size video news camera.

I just wonder if a DSLR or mirrorless camera (or some smaller option) might not be an option for live feed - especially when and if things be come nasty...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Can a DSLR or mirrorless camera be used for live feed...

The problem with live feed has always been the broadcast infrastructure to connect the camera to.

While I haven't played with it, I know my wife's camera and my old panasonic mFT camera both have WiFi output, but finding a WiFi hot spot to connect to would be the issue. That would imply having a static location to shoot from and the quality is going to be dependent on the bandwidth of your camera / hot spot.

All of the television live feeds seem to come with their own support vehicles with direct satellite connection.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Can a DSLR or mirrorless camera be used for live feed...

I would assume that the vast differences in quality of video coverage from locations all over the USA might be from the differences of skills of the various camera operators rather than problems with the equipment...

However, I did notice in very fast moving and volatile situations, some camera persons seemed to have had problems with their large cameras.