Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Nik Collection 3

Real Name
    Ole

New Nik Collection 3

I have the Nik Collection and I use it quite often especially because of it's black and white functions. Should I invest in this new version?

The perspective control is a very handy feature especially in photographing street scenes.

Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: New Nik Collection 3

I don't think anyone can advise you on that Ole.

What is it about the current version that doesn't do what you want? Do you know that the new version will do that? Do you want all the new features that V3 offers? Do you have the spare cash and to buy it is not going to cause anyone any hardship?

Real Name
    Dave

The new version has a non-destructive workflow. Using Nik as a Lightroom plugin, that could be a considerable plus.

Real Name
    Bill

There's a good review here.

I'm tempted ...

Real Name
    Dan

I'll be interested in what others say. I have almost zero interest in the filters they keep adding. However, two features of the new release interest me: the nondestructive workflow, and the new perspective-correcting program. I don't entirely understand how the former works, but I gather it saves the edited file in a container that separates the edits from the original file. I don't know how one goes back and redoes the edits, but I may download the trial to see.

Good marketing: it's cheaper for the first 30 days. In the US, it's $100 now, $150 after 30 days.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Photoshop users note - The reference to 'non-destructive workflow' refers to use in Lightroom. It always has been non-destructive in Photshop.
    Last edited by Donald; 4th June 2020 at 01:25 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Good marketing: it's cheaper for the first 30 days. In the US, it's $100 now, $150 after 30 days.
    They seem to have even more variable pricing; I upgraded for just over $US50 with the discount code.

I don't use the software as often as I used to, but still have not found a good substitute for the Color Efex Pro Contrast, Tonal Contrast and Detail Extractor that does not take a lot more effort. I've never been a fan of their Control Point technology as I find it too imprecise.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    They seem to have even more variable pricing; I upgraded for just over $US50 with the discount code.
    Yes indeed. The upgrade for those already using the package is one deal and the discount for an early buy from new buyers is another deal.

Real Name
    Dave

Just to confirm that the upgrade "discount" applies whether you are upgrading from v.1 or v.2

Real Name
    Dan

You can see a video explaining the main new features here: https://youtu.be/E40dH8JwGUw. The perspective correction tool seems quite impressive. And for me--as I still do substantial work in Lightroom with many images--the ability to create an editable NIK adjustment could be a big improvement. I'm still using the free Google version, but I think this one is finally a big enough step forward that I'm willing to spend $100 for it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

You can see a video explaining the main new features here: https://youtu.be/E40dH8JwGUw. The perspective correction tool seems quite impressive. And for me--as I still do substantial work in Lightroom with many images--the ability to create an editable NIK adjustment could be a big improvement. I'm still using the free Google version, but I think this one is finally a big enough step forward that I'm willing to spend $100 for it.
    Dan - the perspective correction tool is just the Nik ViewPoint tool that has been added to the package versus being a stand-alone tool. It's really fast to use, but the downside is that I generally did not like the decisions it makes on what to include and what to exclude. I never use it anymore and do all my perspective corrections manually using the skew and scale tools.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Dan - the perspective correction tool is just the Nik ViewPoint tool that has been added to the package versus being a stand-alone tool. It's really fast to use, but the downside is that I generally did not like the decisions it makes on what to include and what to exclude. I never use it anymore and do all my perspective corrections manually using the skew and scale tools.
    Manfred,

I haven't used ViewPoint (I'm still using the old Google version), but did you look at the section in the video about the perspective correction tool? You don't have to let the software decide what to use. It allows you to specify a large number of lines (I think it is four each, vertical and horizontal) that the software will use to make the adjustment. the presenter gives an example in which no pairs of horizontal and vertical lines would be sufficient.

Dan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I agree, Dan. That looks like the the most fascinating thing about the new V3. It looks to be a new and impressive tool.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Manfred,

I haven't used ViewPoint (I'm still using the old Google version), but did you look at the section in the video about the perspective correction tool? You don't have to let the software decide what to use. It allows you to specify a large number of lines (I think it is four each, vertical and horizontal) that the software will use to make the adjustment. the presenter gives an example in which no pairs of horizontal and vertical lines would be sufficient.

Dan
    Dan - I've gone back and played around with the functionality in Nik - it looks identical to DxO ViewPoint 3.1. I started with the original ViewPoint version (1.0) and have the most recent updates (free in my case), but did not even have it installed in LR / PS because I wasn't using it any more. It's like anything else, if it adds value, you will use it.

It's a good tool and I particularly like the way the spot magnifier lets one line up the tools to make the corrections.

Real Name
    Dan

I've never been a fan of their Control Point technology as I find it too imprecise.
    The new version includes a brush for local adjustments. I'm not sure whether it offers any advantage over simply masking the layer in photoshop and using a brush there. Haven't gotten that far yet.

If my first installation is right, at least one thing is missing in the trial version: the drop-down menu that allows you to access some of the filters directly while in photoshop is active on my computer only for one of the three packages that offer this.

Real Name
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I agree, Dan. That looks like the the most fascinating thing about the new V3. It looks to be a new and impressive tool.
    That is the sole reason why I am considering getting the V3 as I love street photography. Still thinking though. Do not like wasting money on anything useless.

Real Name
    Dan

There is a free 30 day trial that appears to be nearly complete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    That is the sole reason why I am considering getting the V3 as I love street photography. Still thinking though. Do not like wasting money on anything useless.
    It's only useless if you don't use it.

There was a time where I used it on virtually every image I worked on, but over the past year or so, I am using it far less now. I've generally found better techniques, but they take a lot more time and effort.

Real Name
    Dan

I just bought it. The primary tools I use are the ones Manfred mentioned, but I decided that the perspective-correction tool would be a nice addition, and the nondestructive option in LR is a plus for me.

Real Name
    Dan

I just tried the new LR function. When you add Nik edits in LR, you opt to choose as a TIF file. It then deposits the TIF file next to the original in the filmstrip. if you then say you want to edit the TIF in the same NIK filter and choose "edit origina," it reopens the NIK interface with the filters set as you had them the first time. They can then be modified.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast