Thread: getting the shutter count on a Canon DSLR

Real Name
    Dan

getting the shutter count on a Canon DSLR

As some of you know, it is hard to get a shutter count from a Canon DSLR because Canon doesn't include that in EXIF.

I'm likely to sell my 5D III soon and would like to get the shutter count. (Canon has put the 5D IV, which is a much better camera, on sale, I suspect to clear them out before the R5 is available.) I have tried a few methods that don't entail installing software, but they failed. if anyone has had experience with a method that works, I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Edit--Found the solution: https://sourceforge.net/projects/can...-digital-info/. This software can be run directly and doesn't have to be installed into the OS, which was my concern. It confirmed that both of my bodies have very low shutter counts. The 5D III I expect to sell is < 14,000.
    Last edited by DanK; 8th June 2020 at 05:12 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: getting the shutter count on a Canon DSLR

When I liquidated my Canon DSLR boies last year, I was never able to get the shutter counts although I tried several different methods.

Real Name
    Dan

This one, should anyone else need it, worked fine with both my 5D Mark III and my 7D (1st generation). The latter I don't plan to sell now, and it is worth almost nothing, but I was curious because I bought it as a Canon refurb years ago. The count is still below 17,000.

The low count on the 5D III might appreciably increase its price if I sell on eBay. I suspect I will get nothing for the RRS L-bracket that is on it, which unfortunately won't fit a 5 D IV.

Real Name
    roy

I couldn't open it.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by royent View Post
    I couldn't open it.
    Do you mean that you couldn't open the zip file or that you couldn't execute the program?

I simply extracted the zip file, which contains 3 or 4 files, to my desktop. I then just double-clicked on the executable file. Once or twice, it gave me an error message, but it executed without a problem.

The instructions for this are in the rtf readme file that's included in the zip file.

Real Name
    roy

My computer wouldn't let me open it

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by royent View Post
    My computer wouldn't let me open it
    Sorry, I still don't know what you mean by "open". Do you mean opening the zip file, or opening the executable file that is in it?

If you mean the zip file, I suspect you have a corrupted copy and need to download it again. I was able to extract the files using two different file managers: Powerdesk, which is not free, and 7Zip (https://www.7-zip.org/), the free utility our university loads on computers routinely.

Real Name
    roy

I couldn't open anything. The computer gave a 404 error. Not to worry I can manage without knowing the shutter count.

Real Name
    Dan

Error 404 is a web error meaning that the page you were looking for couldn't be found. The link toward the bottom of the page I linked to is no longer active. If you click on the green download box at the top left, it should download fine. That green box is this link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/can...atest/download.