Thread: Iris

Real Name
    André

Iris

I tried a flower on a whitish background as opposed to my usual black background.

Iris

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Iris

Beautiful

Real Name
    António Correia

Yes, beautiful and well done !

Real Name
    Kay

I think it brings out the delicate detail very well.

Real Name
    André

Thank you Nandakumar, Antonio and Kay.
    While I like the photo as is, I cannot say that I am completely satisfied with it. When I zoom in on the various part of the flower, every thing looks good. However, looking at the whole picture, I find that the flower looks a bit too dark as if the background is somewhat overwhelming it. I tried darkening the background but that just makes it look odd. I might try a tighter crop to put more emphasis on the flower. Any suggestion would be welcomed.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Andre - beautifully executed image and I agree that it needs just a few tweaks.

The first thing that strikes me is that it needs a bit of a crop off the top and right hand side. Not a lot, but just enough to eliminate a bit of negative space on those parts of the image.

I love the way that the texture of the background interacts with the textures of the flower. I would be tempted to reduce the orange tint in the lower part of the background and make it a bit more neutral. I'd also lighten it just a touch more by pulling the white point ever so slightly to the left.

I would also open up the delicacy of the midtones a touch by moving them more to the whites.

Finally, I would dodge a few of the dark areas where the shadows are causing some very minor issues.

Iris

Real Name
    Dan

I agree that it is a great image, and I also agree with Manfred's suggestions.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Andre - beautifully executed image and I agree that it needs just a few tweaks.

The first thing that strikes me is that it needs a bit of a crop off the top and right hand side. Not a lot, but just enough to eliminate a bit of negative space on those parts of the image.

I love the way that the texture of the background interacts with the textures of the flower. I would be tempted to reduce the orange tint in the lower part of the background and make it a bit more neutral. I'd also lighten it just a touch more by pulling the white point ever so slightly to the left.

I would also open up the delicacy of the midtones a touch by moving them more to the whites.

Finally, I would dodge a few of the dark areas where the shadows are causing some very minor issues.
    Thank you Manfred. That is just the kind of suggestions that I was hoping for. Here is my latest take on it:

Iris

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Looks really good now, André.

If it were my image, I'd push the mid-point a touch more to unlock some of the delicate features of the petals a bit more, but that's just my personal taste.