Thread: A few more of Bedham church in West Sussex

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

A few more of Bedham church in West Sussex

Last edited by pschlute; 18th June 2020 at 03:03 PM.

Real Name
    James

Re: A few more of Bedham church in West Sussex

Peter, all three are delightful. My preference is for the second shot with the greater contrasts. I find the play of light on the chapel walls and the clearer delineation of the stonework creates a feeling that the building is almost concealing itself... fanciful, I know

In first image I keep being drawn to the tree growing out of the bank on the left. At first I thought it was a prop for the walls. I might try toning it down a bit if it were my shot.

But, the sequence has given me a yen to get to the site myself! (I have a cousin who lives in Hastings, who I see fairly often, though since 'lockdown'.......)

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very pleasing and inviting picturiztion of a beautiful spot.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

In first image I keep being drawn to the tree growing out of the bank on the left. At first I thought it was a prop for the walls. I might try toning it down a bit if it were my shot.
    You are quite correct. I am going to chop it down.

What tree ?
    Last edited by pschlute; 18th June 2020 at 03:04 PM.

Real Name
    Ted

I like the shots that show the shape along it's length and prefer the lighting in the third but, from that POV, would prefer a crop that shows more than the first or the second.

Pardon the edit (global only):

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

It is in a lovely location, in the middle of a dense wood but a narrow track does run along one side, high up the bank to the left. I cant wait to get back there in misty or snow conditions.

I did some research and it was built in 1880 as both a school and church for the hamlet of Bedham. There would be a fabric down the middle to create two "classrooms" during the week, and on Friday the fabric would be pulled away and the chairs turned to the altar in preparation for Sunday service. The school closed in the 1930's and a dwindling population (Bedham can not even be called a village today) meant the last service was in 1959.

There a few more pictures on my Flickr page....link below.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    It is in a lovely location, in the middle of a dense wood but a narrow track does run along one side, high up the bank to the left.
    One could almost picture a shot from that high path with deliberate perspective distortion - bearing in mind the vertical architectural design.

BTW, thanks for the research!

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    One could almost picture a shot from that high path
    I did take some from the path but the dense trees and high contrast light meant they were no good. I will go back in winter and try and get some moody misty snowy shots.

I used bracketed exposures for most of these images at 0/-1/-2 and merged them in LR. Otherwise I would have had too many blown highlights.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    I did take some from the path but the dense trees and high contrast light meant they were no good. I will go back in winter and try and get some moody misty snowy shots.

I used bracketed exposures for most of these images at 0/-1/-2 and merged them in LR. Otherwise I would have had too many blown highlights.
    Yes, I did wonder about trees - and indeed the lighting looks like it was a bit fierce even in the posted shots.

Good job with the merging and I'm looking forward to shots of that scene with more favorable DR.