Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photoshop ACR Crop Tool Update Problem

Real Name
    Grahame

Photoshop ACR Crop Tool Update Problem

In ACR I used to be able to crop to a required ratio, size and place accurately where I wanted it in seconds all by use of the mouse pointer.

The crop function now seems to take ages, I'm unable to resize the box, arrow keys have to be used to manoeuvre the 'box' and accuracy is difficult.

I'm sure the problem has to be me but it's becoming frustrating. Any ideas?

I just had one, Google, it appears others are raising the issue !!!
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 26th June 2020 at 08:27 AM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Photoshop ACR Crop Tool Update Problem

It is working fine for me. i am able to grab the corners with the pointer and resize and move the frame.

Make sure you do not have the "hand" pointer selected. There is a toggle for this in the lower right of ACR screen.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    It is working fine for me. i am able to grab the corners with the pointer and resize and move the frame.

Make sure you do not have the "hand" pointer selected. There is a toggle for this in the lower right of ACR screen.
    The hand pointers not selected Peter.

I can grab a corner and nothing happens on the main image. It does show the movement after a while on the small thumbnail.

I then have to wait some time before I am able to do the same again with another corner, and again nothing happens on the main image, just the thumbnail after a few seconds.

Also moving the 'crop frame' around the image with the mouse cursor is not possible.

These same issues have been raised on Adobe forums, only useful thing I have found so far are Adobe's instructions on how to revert to the previous ACR issue which I'll do shortly.

Real Name
    Grahame

Update .............................

I re-installed ACR 12.3 from the Adobe site. (This is without un-installing which I suspect can only be done manually)

On opening an image into it the Crop function was working more as one would expect (disregarding the changes to it).

After a few movements of the crop area it slowed right down as it had previously been. Opening a new image into it, it remains useless.

Have now reverted back to ACR version 12.2.1, very quick and easy to do. I was just starting to get used to the new ACR version layout but will wait to see if Adobe sort it of find a reason.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 26th June 2020 at 10:23 AM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Interesting. I just tried mine again with the film strip visible and without. No difference. It is perfectly fine either way with instant updating of the film strip too.

Is there any common denominator with users system specs ?

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Interesting. I just tried mine again with the film strip visible and without. No difference. It is perfectly fine either way with instant updating of the film strip too.

Is there any common denominator with users system specs ?
    Various versions of Windows have been mentioned and confirmed not working on Win 10 by some. I'm on fully updated Win 10 64bit Pro.

There was a mention of possible 'Graphic card compatibility' but I find that unlikely. Whilst I'm not using a separate graphics card I do a lot of pretty heavy stuff in PS.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I am using Win10 home 64bit with a Nvidia Quadro P1000 graphics card. If that is of any help.

Real Name
    Dan

Just tried it on my Lenovo laptop, and it works fine. I'll try it on my main computer next week.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I'm not having that particular issue, but as with all major updates, there are certain things that seem to be a bit quirky.

The one issue I have run across with that latest Photoshop update is that the "Scrubby Zoom", which I use a lot, will shut down if I have too many files open at the same time. I get a warning message, it turns off and I have to select the area I zoom. I use a AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100 workstation graphics card, with 8GB of video memory, so there is no reason in the world I should be seeing this...

Exactly the same problem as you, Grahame. Windows 7.

There are good arguments for doing your cropping in Photoshop; so that is what I do now. But sometimes, when I am unsure exactly how to edit a shot, I find that a rough crop at the start of my ACR processing lets me experiment with ideas.

And downloads from Adobe don't work for me now unless I completely uninstall the existing software first. Otherwise I get to the final 99% complete stage and then see a message about the upgrade failing because a file couldn't be moved.

Not sure about the new ACR layout either. Initially I hated the new version but after a while I am learning to live with it once I have changed my way of working.

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks Manfred & Dan for confirming your crop tool is functioning. I'm in the process of updating PS/ACR on my laptop and will see what happens there.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Exactly the same problem as you, Grahame. Windows 7.
    Useful to hear that Geoff.

There are good arguments for doing your cropping in Photoshop; so that is what I do now. But sometimes, when I am unsure exactly how to edit a shot, I find that a rough crop at the start of my ACR processing lets me experiment with ideas.
    There are times, as an example sporting events, where I will edit hundreds of images and my workflow is to do this in ACR only as there is generally just a crop, possible level and very minor basic exp/highlight tweaks. I then save directly from ACR at the size required for my web presentation.

And downloads from Adobe don't work for me now unless I completely uninstall the existing software first. Otherwise I get to the final 99% complete stage and then see a message about the upgrade failing because a file couldn't be moved.
    That's a pain.

Not sure about the new ACR layout either. Initially I hated the new version but after a while I am learning to live with it once I have changed my way of working.
    My experience was similar Geoff, until I came across the crop problem.

Real Name
    Grahame

Update ............................

Just updated PS and ACR on my antiquated HP Win 10 Home version laptop and the crop function works fine.

Strange things seem to be happening with this software.

Tried again today and the crop function just about worked but very slow and 'clunky'. That was starting from a DNG image. So I tried again with a Jpeg and that worked fine. So maybe something to do with file size?