Thread: Downloads becoming a PITA

Real Name
    Richard

Downloads becoming a PITA

It seems like every day when I open my computer or Chromebook. I am asked to download a new version of the product with which I am presently working.

Often, these downloads have absolutely nothing to do with my workflow. They are most often to integrate IOS with my workflow, something which I absolutely do not need. I use my iPhone for making and receiving phone calls and for listening to audio books - I do not use it, nor do I plan on using it for any photography.

I am still working with an iPhone 6+ and don't have any need or intention to "upgrade" to another version...

Now when i attempted to access my smugmug.com account, I get this message: You'll Need a Newer Browser to See This Page

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Downloads becoming a PITA

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    It seems like every day when I open my computer or Chromebook. I am asked to download a new version of the product with which I am presently working.

Often, these downloads have absolutely nothing to do with my workflow. They are most often to integrate IOS with my workflow, something which I absolutely do not need. I use my iPhone for making and receiving phone calls and for listening to audio books - I do not use it, nor do I plan on using it for any photography.

I am still working with an iPhone 6+ and don't have any need or intention to "upgrade" to another version...

Now when i attempted to access my smugmug.com account, I get this message: You'll Need a Newer Browser to See This Page
    I am too a member of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" club. I stuck with Windoze XP long after the due date until, with great reluctance, I was forced to buy a new computer for other reasons. Even then, I deliberately chose a Win 7 Pro model based on Microsoft's stupid tricks to force me into Win 10 - and Win 7 Pro (yep now past it's due date with the usual dire warnings) is still running like champ on my machine.

Looking forward to the death of Adobe Flash this year ... HTML5 rules, OK?

Luddites of the world, unite!

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post

Richard, you don't name "the product with which I am presently working" but since you also refer to iOS and Chromebook, it would appear that you have a varied menu at your disposal!

I have no idea about the Chromebook world but since I have an even older iPhone than you (a 5S) and a wife with the latest iPod Touch (she's too penny conscious to accept my recommendation to move to an iPad), all I can say is that you don't need to update, in many instances you can switch off update announcements, and may I ask how does the iPhone interact with your workflow?

Some updates contain security enhancements - never a bad idea to accept these even if you will probably never need them, and some have things that you may find you like - as an example ourselves, our daughter and family in Western Australia, and our son and family in Texas all have Apple "iThings" that we use to keep in touch with video calls but the latest iOS updates allow the three of us to be on the same call - absolutely welcome.
    Last edited by billtils; 26th June 2020 at 05:36 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

On the other hand, I'm part of the school of "if it isn't broken, then break it" philosophy.

Real Name
    Dan

I don't have a chromebook, but I have never had anything on my computer ask me to do anything with iOS. what app is causing that?

Re this:

I have my copy of firefox set to update automatically, and my copy of Vivaldi prompts me every time there is an upgrade. Many of the browser upgrades are for security purposes, so I want them installed promptly. I virtually never use the Chrome browser anymore. Even though the underlying Chromium engine is considered excellent, Google Chrome itself has become a morass of spy software: https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...s-time-switch/. If you like Chromium and use various Chrome extensions, Vivaldi is based on Chromium and will run most of them.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    On the other hand, I'm part of the school of "if it isn't broken, then break it" philosophy.
    Me too !!!

Real Name
    Colin

Agree to the pain about downloads and for me the advent of Win8/10 is the worst of the bunch.

However, as an engineer I'm of the school "if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features.'

Wasn't it Mark Zuck of Disgrace Book who promoted the business model of Move Fast and Break Things. He certainly got that right

I am still on DOS 3.2. N0 problems

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by bralk View Post
    No problems? I'm guessing that you can't do much of what is discussed on this forum, like photo editing and printing.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by bralk View Post
    My Mac is still on OS 9.0 ...

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    My Mac is still on OS 9.0 ...
    But DOS isn't even a GUI.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    But DOS isn't even a GUI.
    If you had'na told me that, I would never have known it ...

Are the smilies not rendering on your screen, Dan?

Umm ... is this a GUI?

<- smilie
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 18th August 2020 at 07:08 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    If you had'na told me that, I would never have known it ...

Are the smilies not rendering on your screen, Dan?

Umm ... is this a GUI?

<- smilie
    Interesting. I think not. i think it's a text-based rather than a graphics-based interface. But whatever the term, you get what I mean.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Interesting. I think not. i think it's a text-based rather than a graphics-based interface.
    Glad I added a smilie, then.

But whatever the term, you get what I mean.
    Yes, I do.