Thread: Pedestrian Overpass

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Pedestrian Overpass

I was out last night scouting a location for a project I am working on. This is a pedestrian overpass over an 8-lane highway. The shot was taken well into Blue hour, facing north-west.

I'm looking at using this as a backdrop for a composite image, but found it was kind of interesting as a stand-alone shot too. I should have stayed a bit later, but got tired of feeding the mosquitoes...

This was a 20 second exposure and I had hoped that I would pick up light streaks from the headlights and tail lights of vehicles on the highway, but no such luck.

Pedestrian Overpass
    Last edited by Manfred M; 28th June 2020 at 12:35 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Pedestrian Overpass

Perfect backdrop. Wonderful colour. I look forward to seeing how it is used.

Real Name
    raymond

Great composition and so well done.Terrific example of DOF. love the symmetry !!!

Real Name
    Sharon

fantastic!
    My only question would be, on my upper right when viewing the photo the two very bright lights. Is that intentional?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    fantastic!
    My only question would be, on my upper right when viewing the photo the two very bright lights. Is that intentional?
    They were there, so they are in the image. They are dead easy to remove in Photoshop, so I could do so if needed...

Real Name
    David

Regarding the two very bright lights near the top right:

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    They were there, so they are in the image. They are dead easy to remove in Photoshop, so I could do so if needed...
    I would agree were it not for the red flaring, which as a whole extends across a significant area containing colour gradients and reflections. How would you remove the flaring as well? Would you clone and then dodge and burn to acheive an approrpiate fall off in colour in the cloned steelwork, shadow, reflections etc?

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent image

Real Name
    Judith

Lots of interesting aspects to this shot. It will be interesting to see your idea of a composite.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Regarding the two very bright lights near the top right:

I would agree were it not for the red flaring, which as a whole extends across a significant area containing colour gradients and reflections. How would you remove the flaring as well? Would you clone and then dodge and burn to acheive an approrpiate fall off in colour in the cloned steelwork, shadow, reflections etc?

While this is by no means perfect, 5 or 10 minutes of work gives me this.

Pedestrian Overpass

For the most part, I stole pieces without the flare for the beams and transplanted those parts. The small areas I cloned in.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    For the most part, I stole pieces without the flare for the beams and transplanted those parts. The small areas I cloned in.
    Pretty good for 5-10 minutes work!

My question was prompted because I could not see where the source material for the edit would come from. I could see how the vertical steel could be edited and the lamp post itself, but I just could not see a potential source for the horziontal beam. And it is till not obvious, and you have achieved a very realistic even colour along the whole section. Did you by any chance copy a beam for the other side, flip it and then tweak it some more? Or maybe I am over-thinking it?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Did you by any chance copy a beam for the other side, flip it and then tweak it some more?
    That's exactly what I did. Good analysis...

I spend a lot of time working in Photoshop, so I can generally figure out how to fix a lot of problems.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    Lots of interesting aspects to this shot. It will be interesting to see your idea of a composite.
    Yes it will. Some people perhaps ?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Chataignier View Post
    Yes it will. Some people perhaps ?
    The plan is for one person. I expect to start shooting that soon.

Real Name
    David

I am also looking forward to how this project develops. I imagine the light in this shot will be a challenge to match in the portrait, but there are some lovely colours and tones here for the background.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I am also looking forward to how this project develops. I imagine the light in this shot will be a challenge to match in the portrait, but there are some lovely colours and tones here for the background.
    If the "normal" colour temperature of the studio lights does not give me the look I want, I am looking at three different approaches:

1. Gel the studio lights when shooting my subject. I can go with either cooler colour temperatures (blue gel) to match the blue sides or warmer colour temperatures (yellow or orange gels) to match what is happening with the artificial lights on the overpass.

2. Go back and re-shoot on a rainy / overcast day to provide a more neutral background. The site is only about 5 minutes from where I live, so doing a re-shoot will be easy; and

3. If all else fails, go with B&W.