Thread: B&W Portrait

Real Name
    Richard

B&W Portrait

I found this image on my hard drive...

B&W Portrait

I'd really like to start shooting again but, the COVID-19 virus is raising its ugly head again in my area...

Real Name
    António Correia

Re: B&W Portrait

Very nice girl and photograph Richard !

I am sorry that in CA the global enemy is striking again and strongly. People relax and some days later... bang !

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Lovely image Richard. Nicely posed and taken.

The only issue I have is that my eyes go straight to the hot spot on her lips. I suspect cleaning that up would strengthen what you are showing her.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

With the proviso of Manfred's point this is a cracking image. Can you remember how you lit it ?

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks for the comments... I will tone down the hotspot on her lips - I really didn't notice that because I was looking at her eyes.

As far as lighting goes... During the shoot I had a large softbox to my right and a smaller fill light with a grid to the left. The BG was black and there was no hair light involved. I had Madison move around a bit mostly to and from the camera as I shot...

Real Name
    Dan

I agree: a striking portrait.

It's hard to tell at this resolution, but the hot spot on the lips looks like a specular highlight to me, and if so, you'd have to clone rather than just cool it down. This could come from lipstick. It's a very common problem in doing candids of toddlers, but in that case, the problem arises from saliva.

I think I would try to cool down a few other areas as well, e.g., her left cheek and the top of her lip. Although the image is overall not bright--the histogram is bunched toward the left--there seems to be a lot of midtone contrast in some areas that make those areas look hot to me.

Real Name
    Sharon

Beautiful portrait! No other comments to add.

Real Name
    Ian

It is certainly possible to lose the highlights as suggested above, but I must say I do otherwise like the general shot as a portrait and the eye contact. Good photographer/model interaction clearly.

Why left on your HDD drive Richard is beyond me? Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Richard

It look like the USA will again need to close down. Hopefully to eventually reopen under new management

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    It is certainly possible to lose the highlights as suggested above, but I must say I do otherwise like the general shot as a portrait and the eye contact. Good photographer/model interaction clearly.

Why left on your HDD drive Richard is beyond me? Thanks for sharing.
    This was in a selection of other portraits of Madison...
    https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/MADISON/

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    This was in a selection of other portraits of Madison...
    https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/MADISON/
    Thanks for the Smug Mug portfolio too. Portrait in my view is one of the most difficult genres to successfully capture.

I take all previously posted comment from last week back. I have just seen a portrait on the cover of one of my wife's fashion magazines (Grazia). I commented on the superb eye contact the model had with the photographer, but there was a slight shine on part of her lipstick, just like on your portrait.

Then I looked up the photographer…….'Shot by RANKIN'.

Richard, you are in very good company therefore.

Keep it up!

Real Name
    Martin

A great image, Richard. It has simple lighting and a wonderful result.... and yes, that hot spot on her lip is bit distracting.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks Ian and Martin...

Ian wrote, "Portrait in my view is one of the most difficult genres to successfully capture."

I love people and love shooting images of people... I only wish that the Covid-19 did not halt my photographic endeavors in that venue... Hopefully, someday, I will again be able to safely shoot more portraits...

Real Name
    Ian

Richard,

When you can produce results that are directly comparable to Rankin, then I wish you the very best. Hopefully you can show us more in the future, hopefully before the second wave of Covid 19 hits us all.

Real Name
    Barry

There are times when you have to discard your judges hat. Enjoy a lovely-looking lady.

Real Name
    Richard

When I look back on previously shot portraits I will remember the interactions that I had with the various subjects.

Some subjects due to the quality of their looks are easier to direct and shoot than other subjects who may not be as lucky when it comes to looks.

Along the same lines but, on a different course, some subjects are easier to pose than others.

I have shot several ladies whom I did not think were particularly attractive but, was surprised when the images turned out quite nice. Whether I did not notice the qualities when shooting or whether I noticed the qualities and consciously or unconsciously enhanced the qualities may have been different with different subjects.

I will not select any examples this latter genre but, will definitely remember subjects who have not only natural beauty but, who are easy to pose such as Madison above...