Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fleshing out the concept

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Fleshing out the concept

A couple of weeks ago, I posted an image I was thinking of using as a background for a photo-composite.

Pedestrian Overpass

Yesterday, I started to flesh out the concept by taking a few shots to work on the lighting. I'm not 100% happy and expect I will want to do a retake, but it's a start.

Fleshing out the concept

Real Name
    Ole

Re: Fleshing out the concept

I like the lighting on the overpass itself but the neck of the model need to be burned a tad and I'd lighten the sword just a little.

I think that the real problem is the reflection on the model's head, the head is not differentiated from the ceiling.
    Cheers Ole
    Last edited by mugge; 14th July 2020 at 07:24 AM. Reason: alteration

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Love it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post
    I like the lighting on the overpass itself but the neck of the model need to be burned a tad and I'd lighten the sword just a little.

I think that the real problem is the reflection on the model's head, the head is not differentiated from the ceiling.
    Cheers Ole
    Strangely enough, I had done all those things (neck burned down, sword (which is not particularly shiny) dodged). There is a hair light on the model's head with an orange gel to account for the light on the overpass just behind her head. That part needs a bit more work too; I've gotten a bit too much light wrap there.

I am going to have to introduce a third light source (fill light from the camera left side). I was trying to avoid that because I wanted to control the light on the sword and the specular highlights that it will cause on the sword.

Here is the image that I used, SOOC.

Fleshing out the concept
    Last edited by Manfred M; 14th July 2020 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added image

Real Name
    Judith

I wonder what it would be like if the model stepped back a bit so more of the legs were visible? Change in scale might fit the overpass

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanflyer View Post
    I wonder what it would be like if the model stepped back a bit so more of the legs were visible? Change in scale might fit the overpass
    I would normally do this type of work in the photo club studio, where I have the height, width and depth to do all that.

Unfortunately, the COVID-19 situation means that it has been shut down since since March. That means I have to make due at home, where I have very limited space to work. That being said, I would probably not show more of the legs. Above the knees works, but once one drops lower, the whole body is needed and in my view, that rarely works in a standing portrait with a single subject.

In the studio, with the 12 foot wide paper used in a sweep, I can do all that without compromising. At home, with my wall or 52" paper, I can't.

I'm working within the limitations of what can be done.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 14th July 2020 at 08:18 PM.

Thornhill, a suburb of Toronto, Ontario Canada
    Real Name
    Robert

Manfred,
    As usual, you put a great deal of thought and work into this image. My problem with it is the background, especially to either side which I find incredibly busy and distracting. And while I appreciate the converging lines of perspective that act as leading lines, there seems to be no other connection between the subject and her surroundings (at least not that I recognize). I'd love to hear your thoughts on your ideas and intentions with this composition.
    Robert