Thread: A couple of red digger wasps on a butterfly weed, with a new rig

Real Name
    Dan

A couple of red digger wasps on a butterfly weed, with a new rig

Neither of these is quite spot on in terms of focus. These wasps are VERY skittish, and they move very fast when feeding. However, I wanted to try a new rig. I made two changes to my equipment:

1. I replaced my DIY diffuser, made of a soda can, parchment paper, and gaffers tape, with a cheap Vello softbox. The DIY one is excellent, but I got tired of trying to get the adhesive off my flash. The new one is fine, except that these shots show that I need to add a layer of diffusion. There are too many specular highlights. The other problem is that it's larger, which is fine in principle but scares the critters more.

2. Instead of using a 36mm tube on a 100 mm lens, I used a 10 mm tube and a 1.4x teleconverter. That allows me to be farther away and allows a bit more magnification, if I get to MWD.

C&C welcome as always.

Real Name
    les norman

Re: A couple of red digger wasps on a butterfly weed, with a new rig

These are outstanding Dan i realy dont think you could do more with the focus looks good to me well done

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Excellent macros!!!

Real Name
    Bill

Agree with Les. Also your post reminds me I have been in 100% binary mode re 1.4TC or extension tubes - why not try both!

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks, all.

Bill, the Canon 1.4x won't fit on my 100mm macro lens, so I have to add a 10mm tube to get it to fit. The combination is pretty good if you want really close shots.

I'm going to play with putting tubes on my 100-400, which is a relatively close-focusing lens, for whole-body shots, but I think the whole thing will be to heavy and unwieldy.

Real Name
    David

Terrific ! I find that many insects are difficult because they move so fast and unpredictably, keeping in focus is a nightmare. Well done to get these.

I have the canon 100mm f2.8 too and continue to use it on the Fuji X-T3 with an adaptor, am awaiting delivery of some fuji compatible extension tubes.

I do the same thing and use a 12 mm extension tube as a spacer in order to fit that Canon 1.4x to a Sigma 180 macro lens. The only trouble is that you lose the ability to focus on subjects which are further away. Such as a bird which briefly comes fairly close but not quite close enough.