Thread: Soggy Sunset

Soggy Sunset

I know that people usually go for wide expansive views and natural settings for sunsets and I have taken many of them. But sometimes a more mundane setting can be stunning. It had been a huge downpour after a long hot day. I had gone outside for a few moments to smell the freshness after the rain and I saw this. I raced inside and got my camera and got a couple off a couple of shots before the light changed, it changes very quickly where I live.

All C&C welcome.

Soggy Sunset

Real Name
    André

Re: Soggy Sunset

You have captured a nice sunset with unusual colours. Unfortunately, I find that the reflection of the sky in the puddle competes for my attention and my gaze keeps switching between it and the sky. Personnally, I would crop just above the puddle but you could also crop the sky out and keep the puddle.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

beautiful colours and nice point of view... regarding the inclusion of pool, i am not sure....

I am thinking along similar lines to Nandakumar. Pity that the puddle wasn't closer to the car. Maybe I would try cropping to a 4 x 5 ratio and either lose a bit of sky or part of the puddle?

There is a good composition to be had with that image but it isn't quite working for me at the moment.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I like it

Real Name
    Grahame

It certainly works for me. The inclusion of the puddle and reflection within it helps the balance and interest of the scene.

Many thanks for the feedback. I had a look at the suggestions and I agree about the tug of war between the puddle and the sky. I tried a couple of the suggested crops but wasn't satisfied with the result. The comment from Geoff about the position of the puddle needed a little further investigation so I adjusted the size and perspective of the puddle and moved it closer to the car. It was a quick ten minute job but the results look promising. Any thoughts, better worse, no difference?

Soggy Sunset

Real Name
    Nandakumar

There is much improvement in the image from 1 to 2.

Yes that looks a lot better for composition balance.