Thread: Exercise in times of Corona

Real Name
    Ole

Exercise in times of Corona

Metropolitan Melbourne is currently in partial lockdown as well as we all have to wear facemasks when outside. We are going for walks every day and I have walked past this scene many times without noticing it. I think this scene was worth taken. C&C welcome however.

Exercise in times of CoronaExercise in times of Corona by Ole Hansen, on Flickr

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Exercise in times of Corona

It is a nice view as such; yet you may attempt a little hike in saturation and contrast, i feel

Real Name
    Ole

Second version for Nandakumar

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Second version for Nandakumar

Quote Originally Posted by mugge View Post

Nicely edited. Grass "just right" ...

Anywhere near Croydon where my cousin lives?

Real Name
    Dan

I think this image has a lot of potential, but it could use substantial editing. For example, there is almost no tonal range in the area above and to the right of the stream, so the interesting detail there is almost entirely obscured.

I have to teach in a few minutes, so I don't have time to do this carefully, but here is a very quick edit that shows the directions I was thinking about. I did this:

--lightened the shadows
    --applied some global contrast. I used the normal blend mode, which increased saturation a bit. You could avoid this by using the luminosity blend mode or by backing off saturation a bit, either globally or locally, e.g., the grass.)
    --dodged and burned a little, to lighten the area I mentioned and darken a bit of the foreground.
    --used smart sharpen, at a very low level

See what you think.

Last edited by DanK; 28th July 2020 at 01:32 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Yes, edits working well for me; thank you Ole

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Somewhat similar thoughts from me as Dan had.

Whenever an image looks a bit "muddy" like your original does, I look at boosting global and mid-tone contrast as a first move and then I go into "Ansel Adams" mode and do some local dodging and burning. I didn't like what the bright areas near the top edge on the left hand side were doing, so I cloned out those areas.

Finally, a touch more microcontrast via USM.

Real Name
    Ole

Ted, The location is Darebin Parklands in Thornbury/Northcote and is 33 km from Croydon.

Real Name
    Ted

Ted, The location is Darebin Parklands in Thornbury/Northcote and is 33 km from Croydon.

Ta, Ole. Small world!

Real Name
    Ole

I agree that there is no detail in the shadow because I think that the shadows should be there. In Ted's and Manfred's versions the scene looks too homogenous for me. My idea was to include some shadows where shadows should be.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I agree that there is no detail in the shadow because I think that the shadows should be there. In Ted's and Manfred's versions the scene looks too homogenous for me. My idea was to include some shadows where shadows should be.
    Cheers Ole
    If you look at the work of many of the great photographers, what they do is ensure that there is tonal homogeneity throughout an image. Good flow and details between the lights and the dark; something that flows without being jarring. Ensuring that there are textures in the deepest shadows and in the brightest highlights. That is current "fashion" in landscape (and other photography), just as having a scene in sharp focus from the closest to the furthest object in the scene is.

There is no right or wrong answer here. Just personal taste and current trends. Some of these concepts have been around for decades. Ansel Adams devised the Zone System to ensure textures and details are brought out. He was a founding member of Group f/64. Why did they name their group that way? Because f/64 is an aperture that they tended to shoot at in order to get that sharpness on their large view cameras.

Real Name
    Ted

I agree that there is no detail in the shadow because I think that the shadows should be there. In Ted's and Manfred's versions the scene looks too homogenous for me.
    Ole, I did not edit your image. The image you're talking about, presumably my post #4, is in a quote from your post #3.

Real Name
    Ole

My mistake, I was referring to Dan's edits.
    Cheers Ole

My sympathies to our fellow ANZACs over in Oz. We were really hoping to extend our NZ bubble to Oz, but with the second wave it looks like it will be some time before we will have the chance to move freely between the two countries. So far it has been about six weeks since we have a case within NZ, and although some are coming in they are being caught at the border with our strict quarantine and isolation protocols.

Real Name
    Ole

Quote Originally Posted by Tronhard View Post
    My sympathies to our fellow ANZACs over in Oz. We were really hoping to extend our NZ bubble to Oz, but with the second wave it looks like it will be some time before we will have the chance to move freely between the two countries. So far it has been about six weeks since we have a case within NZ, and although some are coming in they are being caught at the border with our strict quarantine and isolation protocols.
    All of Victorians have to wear face mask now. Over 700 new cases today. Not happy Jan

Hi Ole

We have advantages in being an island nation with one level of national government (rather than states), and (if I say so myself) we have an awesome PM who recognized that we should seek to eliminate rather than live with the virus. Considering they were figuring this out as they went, I think they did an amazing job of galvanizing public cooperation to lock us down for an extended period. We are grateful not to have to worry about all the privations that you folks in Oz are dealing with and hoping our border protection will keep it out. All I can say is that wearing masks for a few weeks, combined with strict hygiene and social distancing, will help you folks deal with the thing way better. Hang in there!