Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: sRGB for web?

Real Name
    Julian

sRGB for web?

(Not sure if I've posted this in the correct section.)

I have a now-possibly-outdated book on colour management which suggests that editing should be done using the widest colour space but that the colour profile of photos for web display should be sRGB. So I have been diligently editing in Adobe RGB but changing to sRGB for upload to Google Photos and Flickr. However, I noticed from the EXIF of a few recent uploads that I must have forgotten to change from Adobe RGB and yet the colour looks fine and vibrant to me. So is the advice I've been following no longer applicable?

Julian

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: sRGB for web?

The default colour space for the web is indeed sRGB, but most browsers are now colour managed and will interpret images with an embedded colour space correctly.

Where we can run into problems is that some websites strip out the colour space information and when that happens, the browsers default to sRGB, regardless of the original colour space. Facebook and Flickr are a couple of the "sinners" that I am aware of. When this happens and you have used a wide-gamut colour space, the images you see will look quite dull.

So your current workflow is appropriate; work in a wide gamut workspace and then convert to sRGB when posting.

Real Name
    Julian

Re: sRGB for web?

Thank you Manfred,

Julian