Thread: Alone No More - Blue Hour take 2

Real Name
    Grahame

Alone No More - Blue Hour take 2

My obsession with this tree continues.............

Having missed the last opportunity due to wind, this morning was almost perfect although a lot of cloud. With all nearby street lighting off I was forced to try some light painting with a small torch.

30 minutes before sunrise, f/11, 30s, ISO100

Comments and suggestions welcome as always.

Real Name
    John

Re: Alone No More - Blue Hour take 2

I like it

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I like everything about it, except...ahem.... the reflection of the bunch of leaves of the tree (not the reflection of its trunk) touching the bottom line of the image...

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalScape View Post
    I like it
    Thank you John.
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 8th August 2020 at 01:02 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I like everything about it, except...ahem.... the reflection of the bunch of leaves of the tree (not the reflection of its trunk) touching the bottom line of the image...
    Thanks Nandakumar.

I understand what you mean and am finding it not straight forward to come up with the best framing and crop of this scene. All the shots I took were framed rather loosely so there's options of showing the complete tree reflection and also a good rain shower coming in from the left.

Here's a different shot with that reflection cropped, with the obliging heron still keeping still for me

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Oh, i like the first one more, on comparison

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I think this is the best so far, lovely image.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    I think this is the best so far, lovely image.
    Thank you Peter.

There's one more in the pipeline that I'm hoping will be an improvement

Real Name
    Greg

I prefer the framing of the second and the lighting of the first but I would be very happy if I had captured either shot. Very nice work Grahame.

BTW I know from your earlier post that the mangroves have been recently planted but unscrupulous people could use this photo as evidence of Pacific Island nations being inundated by rising sea levels.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    I prefer the framing of the second and the lighting of the first but I would be very happy if I had captured either shot. Very nice work Grahame.

BTW I know from your earlier post that the mangroves have been recently planted but unscrupulous people could use this photo as evidence of Pacific Island nations being inundated by rising sea levels.
    Thank you Greg.

Rising sea level photos are very popular at the moment and there are quite a few 'questionable' ones being used. Whilst I'll not disagree that sea levels are rising in places when accurate scientific measurement data shows this I believe many examples we see are due to ground and sea bed erosion.

On my own property at very high tides the sea comes into the garden but it has not come any further in during the past 9 years. On the other hand the footings of my boundary concrete wall are being exposed more each year by the lowering foreshore outside and lowering soil level inside

Real Name
    Dan

A gorgeous shot. I'm not sure how I would end up cropping, but at first blush, I prefer the original framing. I'm not sure the reflection is a problem, at least for me. This image could be taken in many directions. If it were mine, it would consume hours of thinking and playing around.

A recent report of the National Research Council (the research arm of the US Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine) on the impact of climate change on the west coast of the US had this summary statement about rising sea levels:

The IPCC (2007) estimated that global sea level rose an average of 1.7 ± 0.5 mm per year over the 20th century, based on tide gage measurements from around the world. Rates for 1993–2003 were 3.1 ± 0.7 mm per year, based on precise satellite altimetry measurements and confirmed by tide gage
    I don't have the expertise to evaluate the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, but the NRC is one of the most prestigious scientific organizations in the US, and their reports require among agreement among a diversity of experts, so I personally would accept estimates that they accepted.

Real Name
    Sharon

Not much critique to add... but WOW, fantastic image. I'd be super happy to have taken such a beautiful shot.

Real Name
    Richard

Personally, I dont think the reflection hitting the border detracts. It could be just me, but I noticed it, and it seemed natural, rather than odd. And the colour is lovely, which is what makes it so good.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    A gorgeous shot. I'm not sure how I would end up cropping, but at first blush, I prefer the original framing. I'm not sure the reflection is a problem, at least for me. This image could be taken in many directions. If it were mine, it would consume hours of thinking and playing around.

A recent report of the National Research Council (the research arm of the US Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine) on the impact of climate change on the west coast of the US had this summary statement about rising sea levels:

I don't have the expertise to evaluate the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, but the NRC is one of the most prestigious scientific organizations in the US, and their reports require among agreement among a diversity of experts, so I personally would accept estimates that they accepted.
    Thanks Dan.

I have certainly pondered over this image for hours and produced various versions, the latest which I will post below is a different perspective.

Those sea level rise figures certainly explain why you would not really see a noticeable increase over just a few years.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Not much critique to add... but WOW, fantastic image. I'd be super happy to have taken such a beautiful shot.
    Thanks Sharon, it's a great example of where light and time of day can turn something which looks totally mundane into something else

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by Fodwick View Post
    Personally, I dont think the reflection hitting the border detracts. It could be just me, but I noticed it, and it seemed natural, rather than odd. And the colour is lovely, which is what makes it so good.
    Thank you Richard.

The colour is of course 'slightly' exaggerated

Real Name
    Grahame

For me, this version removes the prominence of the tree, emphasising the breaking dawn with the heron anxiously waiting to commence his fishing whilst watching the approaching rain

Grahame

Real Name
    Paul

Definately the best of the bunch. Nicely composed with that tree at the ideal position and superb colours. Lovely shot ... where's the heron at ??

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by bambleweeney View Post
    Definately the best of the bunch. Nicely composed with that tree at the ideal position and superb colours. Lovely shot ... where's the heron at ??
    Thanks Paul.

"Where's the heron at", top of the tree just to the right.