Thread: Head in the Sand

Real Name
    Martin

Head in the Sand

Head in the Sand
    It was a quiet afternoon when I set up my camera at a local beach and waited for a bit of human interest to enter the view finder

Head in the Sand
    This fellow came along and was lecturing his two dogs when he saw me and apologised for getting in the way of my shot

Head in the Sand
    I explained all was good and he came over and we talked. His two fur babies were bored with our conversation and decided to dig for treasure or something.

Head in the Sand
    They went deeper into the sand .....

Head in the Sand
    Finally, with no treasure found, their owner said it was time to go. He explained that he had to get these two "wet sand bags" into the back of his Toyota Corolla for the 30 minute drive home

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Re: Head in the Sand

Great story. Simple and basic REPORTAGE of an interesting encounter.

Consider telling the story without the words, simply the photos: A Picture Story - LINK to a Master Lesson and various commentaries on that particular and associated Subjects.

WW

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Great story. Simple and basic REPORTAGE of an interesting encounter.

Consider telling the story without the words, simply the photos: A Picture Story - LINK to a Master Lesson and various commentaries on that particular and associated Subjects.

WW
    Thanks for the link, Bill. This is a new field for me and it never occurred to me to try telling the story without words. Thank you.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

You're most welcome.

Basically (in new age speak) I am 'passing it forward'. Neil Ambrose's reportage work is legendary within some photographic communities: as you can read in the link, I learned much from his instruction, moreover he gave me pause to think in a wider aspect when approaching any 'everyday scene', and to consider how I could make it 'special'.

WW

What a terrific encounter and images. You did a great job capturing the dogs. Very nice.

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by HoratioH View Post
    What a terrific encounter and images. You did a great job capturing the dogs. Very nice.
    Thank you HoratioH
    That is half the thrill of getting out and about to take photos. If you keep an open mind everything is a potential subject or story and you never know when you might stubble upon it.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Question: It's been buzzing around in my head since I saw the pictures and I think the answer just came to me - Semaphore Beach?

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Question: It's been buzzing around in my head since I saw the pictures and I think the answer just came to me - Semaphore Beach?
    Yes it is Semaphore. I have done quite a number of shoots here. We have done beach shoots with the camera club and it is good for photos of the sunsets through the sand dunes (what remains of them).

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Ta.