Thread: Raw converters

Real Name
    David Phillips

Raw converters

Considering the trouble I`ve had recently attempting to download and install ACR 5.7 for CS4

can anyone recommend a raw converter that will work with Bridge and CS4?

many thanks,Dave

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Re: Raw converters

Quote Originally Posted by swanseadave View Post
    Considering the trouble I`ve had recently attempting to download and install ACR 5.7 for CS4

can anyone recommend a raw converter that will work with Bridge and CS4?

many thanks,Dave
    Any stand alone raw converter will do. Save your converted image as a TIFF or JPEG and then open the image in your desired Adobe program.

I use Silkypix DSPro as an alternative to ACR, but there are plenty to choose from including some very well regarded free ones. Hopefully someone else can advise on those.

Depending how much editing you do on your images, you may be missing out on all the latest advances since CS4 was developed. Adobe Photographer subscription contains Photoshop/Bridge/Lightroom and is updated often. Well worth the cost in my view.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

David - any raw convertor that is newer than your camera will work. There are some freeware ones (that I have no experience with) and quite a number of well regarded commercial ones; Capture One and DxO PhotoLab are both highly regarded and I use both from time to time, as well as Camera Raw. Neither are inexpensive.

Save as a TIFF and import into Photoshop and you should be fine.

Real Name
    Dan

Your Sony camera presumably came with a raw converter. That should do. Just store the results in a loss-less format, like TIF.

The trouble with third party Raw Converters is that you have to save the conversion somewhere then open it with Bridge or directly into CS4 which is sort of OK but creates an additional little bit of effort compared with the simplicity of Bridge, ACR and Photoshop; when all three are willing to cooperate with each other.

At one time I used Raw Therapee and found it easy enough. But I now like the ability to use Smart Objects and switch effortlessly back and forth to ACR

So, as has already been mentioned, any (most) of the common converters will work; but with that additional little step of having to use a holding folder somewhere.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    So, as has already been mentioned, any (most) of the common converters will work; but with that additional little step of having to use a holding folder somewhere.
    Use the same folder the raw file is in.

Real Name
    Dave

Slightly off topic but I really don't like the term "converter". Nothing gets converted, the original remains untouched (I know we all know that)

How about " raw interpreter" ?

Real Name
    Richard

It seems that Adobe Digital Negative Converter would do the job for you.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/us...converter.html

It is free and this is what Adobe says about it...

"Adobe provides backwards compatibility for the latest cameras for use in older versions of Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, After Effects, and Photoshop Elements through the DNG Converter."

Real Name
    David Phillips

Very many thanks to all who responded to my query.I had been considering Raw Therapee but I`ll have a look at other suggestions before I decide.

All this because the original CS4 disk has seemingly done a runner!I cannot find it anywhere.

Yet again I`m very grateful. Regards,Dave.