Thread: Bronte Beach Part 2

Real Name
    Joe

Bronte Beach Part 2

I quite like this shot, except that the family at the edge of the water don't seem sharp and I am not sure why. I know that the lens is open quite wide and my depth of field is consequently not great but i am not sure if this is the problem.
    Your comments are always appreciated.

Bronte Beach Part 2

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Bronte Beach Part 2

An interesting capture. It's an appealing and interesting view.

I can't see the exif, but if you had the lens fairly wide open, that's probably the problem of sharpness.

I think I would choose either to lighten the people or to darken them enough to make it a silhouette. You're kind of stuck in the middle. Here are very sloppy versions just to illustrate:

Bronte Beach Part 2

Bronte Beach Part 2

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by joebranko View Post
    I quite like this shot, except that the family at the edge of the water don't seem sharp and I am not sure why. I know that the lens is open quite wide and my depth of field is consequently not great
    Especially if the lens was not focused on the family, although it probably was? It does seem that an attempt was made to sharpen the image up, judging by the quite significant halos on the family members' outlines.

but I am not sure if this is the problem.
    Another factor could be image size. It is only 799x525px and who knows what FlickR did to it while down-sampling your masterpiece - and who knows what CiC did to it either!

Sites like FlickR are one reason why I upload my own images to my own Website and link to them from here - leaving only CiC's image encoding to contend with ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 27th August 2020 at 05:28 PM.

Yes I agree with the previous comments. The rather small original image looks OK to me, although on the dark side and Dan's versions look fine as far as I can tell.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    An interesting capture. It's an appealing and interesting view.

I can't see the exif, but if you had the lens fairly wide open, that's probably the problem of sharpness.

I think I would choose either to lighten the people or to darken them enough to make it a silhouette. You're kind of stuck in the middle. Here are very sloppy versions just to illustrate:

Bronte Beach Part 2

Bronte Beach Part 2
    Thanks Dan.
    The silhouette view is very interesting. I like it!

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Especially if the lens was not focused on the family, although it probably was? It does seem that an attempt was made to sharpen the image up, judging by the quite significant halos on the family members' outlines.

Another factor could be image size. It is only 799x525px and who knows what FlickR did to it while down-sampling your masterpiece - and who knows what CiC did to it either!

Sites like FlickR are one reason why I upload my own images to my own Website and link to them from here - leaving only CiC's image encoding to contend with ...
    The lens was focussed on the people as you guessed.
    What is the largest size we can use with CiC.?

Real Name
    Grahame

Joe, unless you are purposefully wanting people to view your image larger than screen size so they can pixel peep I would suggest posting at the maximum that would fill most peoples screens, 1920 px wide.

I generally post at around 1800 px wide.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The lens was focussed on the people as you guessed.
    There is no size limit per se, Joe. As you are using an external host that CiC links to, you get to select whatever size you would like. The main issue with large images is going to be the length of time that it takes an image to download and to be displayed. Not everyone is going to have a blazingly fast internet connection, so something reasonable is along the lines of what Grahame has suggested. I personally go with 2048 pixels on the longest side as that allows people some ability to zoom in on the details.

Some photo hosting sites have a size limitation or auto resize larger images to fit their maximum size. In some cases, auto resizing software can lose detail and make changes to colours so it is best to work within those maximum size limits in your original upload.

As a compromise, with super slow broadband, I normally work to a size limit of 1200 pixels wide or 800 pixels high and 80% quality (Jpeg number 10)
    Last edited by Geoff F; 28th August 2020 at 05:31 PM.