Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember when memory cost an arm and a leg?

Real Name
    Richard

Remember when memory cost an arm and a leg?

I remember when I had difficulty affording a one (1) GB Compact Flash memory card...

Times have changed!

I just saw five (5) SanDisk Ultra 32GB SD SDHC UHS-I 48MB/s Class 10 SD cards for $30 and change from amazon.com

They are not the fastest cards in the deck but, certainly adequate for a lot of stills work. What a difference ten or so years makes in the cost of technology...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Remember when memory cost an arm and a leg?

That was likely when you were looking at 32GB as being at or near the top of the capacity for memory.

The stuff you are looking at is low end stuff and in fact SanDisk does not even list 48 MB/s memory on its website anymore. The slowest stuff seems to be double that speed. A "modern" 512 GB CFExpress card lists at $600.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Remember when memory cost an arm and a leg?
    A propack of 5 x 120 Vericolor Professional II, plus cost of Developing and Printing Proof Rolls, wasn't cheap, either.

The kids these days... sheeeeeesh... they don't know the luxury of DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY...

back in my day I would pay the boss for the privilege of having a job cleaning the darkroom floor with a toothbrush; I'd get up three hours before I went to bed; eat gravel for breakfast; and eighteen of us lived in one cardboard box by the side of the road . . . (apologies to Monty) [LINK]

WW

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    A propack of 5 x 120 Vericolor Professional II, plus cost of Developing and Printing Proof Rolls, wasn't cheap, either.

The kids these days... sheeeeeesh... they don't know the luxury of DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY...

back in my day I would pay the boss for the privilege of having a job cleaning the darkroom floor with a toothbrush; I'd get up three hours before I went to bed; eat gravel for breakfast; and eighteen of us lived in one cardboard box by the side of the road . . . (apologies to Monty) [LINK]

WW
    At least where you live you did not have to walk 5km to school through snow drifts that were over your head and in bare feet...

Bill - I agree with your sentiment. When I do the math; I spent a lot more money using supplies by Kodak, Ilford, Agfa and FujiFilm than I do now. A box of paper plus chemistry cost a lot more back in the early 1970s (especially the colour stuff) than top end inkjet paper and ink. A couple of rolls of Kodachrome would pay for some pretty decent memory if inflation is taken into account.

The incremental cost of an image is close to zero, if we look at digital image making. I'm not sure what all the whining is about...

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

haha - you had it easy: what is 'school' - I went directly to work!

Seriously though, and I understand Richard's OP was a reflection on the past, and not whining - so I do hope he'll pardon my slight digression off-topic.

Personally I am quite passionate about (some of) the understanding of PROCEDURES of the film era being still taught now, and, at the least they be not forgotten: I think doing so would have many benefits.

For example, perhaps we wouldn't have as many discussion topics such as: "How many edited images from the 2000 taken, do you give the client?" and like "How can I fix this exposure problem in Post Production?" and "I've sent three of those Canon 24 to 105L back to the store - the auto focus just isn't fast enough on that model."

To take Richard's point - "What a difference ten or so years makes in the cost of technology... " sure does make a difference: advanced technology is both really cheap and easily avaiable nowadays, however those facts don't necessarily add up to better Photography.

WW

Real Name
    Martin

I still remember booting into MSDOS from 5 1/4 floppies... and as for digital cameras... never gonna happen...

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    haha - you had it easy: what is 'school' - I went directly to work!

Seriously though, and I understand Richard's OP was a reflection on the past, and not whining - so I do hope he'll pardon my slight digression off-topic.

Personally I am quite passionate about (some of) the understanding of PROCEDURES of the film era being still taught now, and, at the least they be not forgotten: I think doing so would have many benefits.

For example, perhaps we wouldn't have as many discussion topics such as: "How many edited images from the 2000 taken, do you give the client?" and like "How can I fix this exposure problem in Post Production?" and "I've sent three of those Canon 24 to 105L back to the store - the auto focus just isn't fast enough on that model."

To take Richard's point - "What a difference ten or so years makes in the cost of technology... " sure does make a difference: advanced technology is both really cheap and easily avaiable nowadays, however those facts don't necessarily add up to better Photography.

WW
    Bill, I totally agree. However I think that advances in technology have made their impact on professional photography, especially for the meat and potatoes of many entry level pro photogs: Weddings.

Nowadays it seems like every Uncle Joe and Grandpa Marvin have a camera/lens capable of producing decent images ad these folks are often invited to be photographers at lower budget weddings, despite their qualifications as photographers.

In the old days, most non photographers shot with Instamatic or cardboard throw-away cameras. Very few owned (or were able to use) more professional cameras like a Rolleiflex or a Graphic Press-type camera. Therefore the professional photographer had less competition for lower budget weddings.

In fact, few pro photographers used 35mm cameras for weddings. I don't remember exactly when but, I shifted from using Graphic or Hasselblad cameras to a Canon A-1 SLR but, I only did that for some coverage of the reception. I realized that no one ever seemed to order prints of over 5x7" size of reception pictures so 35mm was quite adequate. Also, by the time the reception was in swing, I was physically tired of handling a large camera ad using the Canon A-1 was a relief to my aching muscles...

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by CP140 View Post
    I still remember booting into MSDOS from 5 1/4 floppies... and as for digital cameras... never gonna happen...
    Yes, and saving the Supercalc spreasheets to the other floppy drive. And as for the internet who will use that?

Real Name
    Dave

Ah yes, we know what happened to the A and B drives

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Yes, and saving the Supercalc spreasheets to the other floppy drive. And as for the internet who will use that?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    ahaaaaah! Ask the younguns: What does "CC" on the E-mail header mean?

while we're at it... that funny long left-hand arrow under the 'Enter' key...

Real Name
    Yes

I recently took delivery of a USB to whatever the floppy disk interface is. Now I can read my 51/4 inch HD floppy disks.

Real Name
    Ken

Yes with age my memory has changed, not necessarily for the better.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    I recently took delivery of a USB to whatever the floppy disk interface is. Now I can read my 51/4 inch HD floppy disks.
    So now I am intrigued...what did/will you find thereon..?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Ah yes, we know what happened to the A and B drives
    Other than scraping the iron oxide recording medium off the substrate over time?

Real Name
    Dave

And how many people under 30 recognise the icon for "save"

Real Name
    Anthony Tam

Hello everyone
    I haven't posted here in years but have been lurking in the shadows

Aren't CF memory cards still expensive and hard to find? I'm using a Canon 5D MkIII and my camera bag containing several CF cards were stolen reciently and I'm trying to replace them, so I'm wondering if:

1) Should I consider getting SD to CF memory adaptors as SD cards are easier to find and relatively cheaper,
    2) Just use fast SD memory ( 5D has 2 different memory card slots ) or
    3) Suck it up and pay for CF memory if I can find them.

I live in Singapore and have not gone out much since the start of covid ( I'm retired with several cronic health issues and trying to save money too ) and can't find answers online. Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
    Have a great week ahead

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by hytam View Post
    . . . Aren't CF memory cards still expensive and hard to find? I'm using a Canon 5D MkIII and my camera bag containing several CF cards were stolen reciently and I'm trying to replace them, so I'm wondering if:

1) Should I consider getting SD to CF memory adaptors as SD cards are easier to find and relatively cheaper,
    1. I see no point in this option: unnecessary to buy 'an adapter' when the 5DMkIII has two slots
    2. I see no point in this option: I understand the EOS 5DMkIII has UDMA7 Compact Flash Protocol allowing up to 90MB/sec of write speed with high performance CF cards
    Further, I understand the EOS 5DMkIII does not support the faster UHS-1 for SD cards. This means no matter what SD card is used, the 5D MkIII reverts to 20MB/sec.
    3. I see this as the option if you need fast speed.
    4. If you do not NEED fast write/buffer speed, then buy inexpensive SD Cards.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 10th November 2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by hytam View Post
    Hello everyone
    I haven't posted here in years but have been lurking in the shadows

Aren't CF memory cards still expensive and hard to find? I'm using a Canon 5D MkIII and my camera bag containing several CF cards were stolen reciently and I'm trying to replace them, so I'm wondering if:

I live in Singapore and have not gone out much since the start of covid ( I'm retired with several cronic health issues and trying to save money too ) and can't find answers online. Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
    Have a great week ahead
    +1 to Bill's comments.

I have never had any issues finding CF cards, but they have always tended to be available only at camera retailers as they tended to be used in higher end cameras, whereas SD cards were always used in consumer cameras. When I check my favourite camera stores, they still stock them.

Obviously online retailers carry them as well, but one study I read a number of years ago suggested the majority of memory cards sold through Amazon or eBay were either counterfeit or were mislabeled (slower read / write speeds).

The other issue with CF is that this format is obsolete and has been replaced by XQD and CF Express formats, which are not compatible with CF slots. The CF Express is an updated XQD card.

Real Name
    Ted

By coincidence, I've just bought two new Dane-Elec 1GB (sic) CF cards (type 1?).

Reason being that I recently went 'retro' and bought a 17-yr old Sigma SD9 DSLR new-in-box . Only 1GB as it only outputs small (for Foveon) 8MB raw-only files -just as well, because cards over 2GB don't work (wrong FAT).

My point is that they weren't numerous and were certainly not cheap compared to SD ... perhaps they are becoming cult like the camera ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 10th November 2020 at 07:05 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    By coincidence . . . perhaps they are becoming cult like the camera ...
    Maybe like me you still listen to 'records'? . . . sourcing a new Audio Technica AT-33Sa Cartridge, is fun.

WW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast