Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Incident Metering

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Incident Metering

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    A big debating point in the aviation industry for some years now that new pilots are taught to rely too much on the automatics.
    I watch Air Disaster documentaries on the Smithsonian channel here and it's really sad how many people have died because the crew took too long to diagnose an auto-pilot or artificial horizon problem ...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Incident Metering

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I watch Air Disaster documentaries on the Smithsonian channel here and it's really sad how many people have died because the crew took too long to diagnose an auto-pilot or artificial horizon problem ...
    Yes, it is always amazing as to how many accidents are attributed to "human error".

Yes, automation is not perfect, but in general neither are people (after all they are the ones that develop the automation).

I remember reading an articles a few years back that claimed that the low accident rate in commercial aircraft can often be attributed to improved automation.

The same comment goes for photography. In the past the photographer needed certain skills to get a decent picture; exposure and focus, as an example. These two functions in modern cameras have resulted in much improved image making.

I hope someone invents an auto composition function...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345