Thread: Rideau River

Real Name
    André

Rideau River

A view of the Rideau river looking south from under the Vimy memorial bridge in Ottawa. Taken last Tuesday while on a hike with my grandsons.

Rideau River

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Rideau River

O, that is inviting me for a dip .....at what time of the day this has been clicked?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Just curious. Are the rocks naturally deposited. I always assumed the Rideau River was converted to a canal so was completely manmade. But then I know nothing about the river aside from the canal and locks portion in Ottawa.

Like the subtle colour, suits the cloudy sky.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Just curious. Are the rocks naturally deposited. I always assumed the Rideau River was converted to a canal so was completely manmade. But then I know nothing about the river aside from the canal and locks portion in Ottawa.

Trevor - the Rideau Canal mostly runs along a natural waterway and locks and dams were installed only in locations where they were necessary for navigation. The completely man-made section runs from the Hogs Back Falls / Mooney's Bay area in Ottawa down to where the Rideau Canal meets the Ottawa River (it runs between the Parliament Buildings and the Chateau Laurier Hotel. The Rideau River ends about 1.6 km / 1 mile east of the canal at the Rideau Falls (definitely not navigatable).

The section of the Canal where this picture was taken is really at the very southern end of the City of Ottawa; where the canal and river are one and the same. It's not a part of town I get to all that often.

The rocks that are shown in the shot look like river rock; round and eroded. Given their location between the pathway and the river, I suspect that these were placed here to shore up the shoreline against erosion

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Thanks. Satisfies my curiosity.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    O, that is inviting me for a dip .....at what time of the day this has been clicked?
    Thank you Nandakumar. The picture was taken shortly after 11:00 AM. There is a very popular beach a few kilometer downstream from where this picture was taken. The water is still warm enough for swimming but that will change soon

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post

Thanks Trevor. The rocks were place there as part of the construction of the Vimy Memorial bridge across the Rideau river. The bridge was completed in 2014 and is a very interesting structure from an engineering point of view. It is also aesthetically pleasing. I took the picture from under the southern edge of the bridge.

This is picture that I took in November 2015 of the bridge at night.

Rideau River

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Trevor - the Rideau Canal mostly runs along a natural waterway and locks and dams were installed only in locations where they were necessary for navigation. The completely man-made section runs from the Hogs Back Falls / Mooney's Bay area in Ottawa down to where the Rideau Canal meets the Ottawa River (it runs between the Parliament Buildings and the Chateau Laurier Hotel. The Rideau River ends about 1.6 km / 1 mile east of the canal at the Rideau Falls (definitely not navigatable).

The section of the Canal where this picture was taken is really at the very southern end of the City of Ottawa; where the canal and river are one and the same. It's not a part of town I get to all that often.

The rocks that are shown in the shot look like river rock; round and eroded. Given their location between the pathway and the river, I suspect that these were placed here to shore up the shoreline against erosion
    Thanks for providing the info about the canal. Another "fun fact" about the canal is that it flows in two directions. It flows North from the Rideau lake into the Ottawa river and it flows South, as the Cataraqui river, from the same lake into the St-Lawrence at Kingston