Thread: Milky way and truck

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Milky way and truck

A very bright flood light was in the distance between the barn and truck. I had to avoid it, which left me few options for position. This seemed spot seemed interesting, to have the light just slightly shining into the truck windows. I reduced the brightness to make the illumination a bit lower (a lot lower) as it was dominating the image as an eye magnet.

Milky way  and truck

Re: Milky way and truck

Looks good to me, particularly in the Lightbox view.

Real Name
    Bill

Nicely thought out and executed

I’ve never attempted such a shot, and I can only say that I really like it and appreciate the thought and effort needed to achieve it.

Real Name
    Grahame

It works well for me Trevor.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I too like this very much; if you post the other one, one may compare them side by side; have you thought of the van alone under the starstreak , without barn there? I am also eager to see the barn with a lamp light coming out of it, all surrounding being the same(without van to distract).

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I too like this very much; if you post the other one, one may compare them side by side; have you thought of the van alone under the starstreak , without barn there? I am also eager to see the barn with a lamp light coming out of it, all surrounding being the same(without van to distract).
    Cannot get into the barn for two reasons: 1) posted as no trespassing with the door chained shut and I did not get permission to enter, just go onto the site and 2) the barn is rickety so probably quite hazardous to enter in the dark.

I am doing as you suggested so the two images can be compared.

Nandakumar (Wavelength user name) in a prior posting that the overlap of the truck and barn is confusing and hard to separate the two elements. I explained about the yard light problem. Here is the image under discussion

Milky way  and truck

Real Name
    Dan

Two thoughts:

First, these photos seem to me to be perfect candidates for light painting. You could have brightened the barn and even the truck.

Second, IMHO, a global reduction in brightness, if that's what you did, is not what I would do. I would try to select the bright area on the truck's windshield and darken that while leaving the rest as is, or perhaps even brightening it a tad. Here's a quick and dirty in which I darkened the windshield:

Milky way  and truck

You can do this in a number of ways, but unfortunately, the easiest in this case--because the affected areas are so much brighter than everything else--is with a luminosity mask, which isn't in everyone's toolkit.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Two thoughts:

First, these photos seem to me to be perfect candidates for light painting. You could have brightened the barn and even the truck.

Second, IMHO, a global reduction in brightness, if that's what you did, is not what I would do. I would try to select the bright area on the truck's windshield and darken that while leaving the rest as is, or perhaps even brightening it a tad. Here's a quick and dirty in which I darkened the windshield:

Milky way  and truck

You can do this in a number of ways, but unfortunately, the easiest in this case--because the affected areas are so much brighter than everything else--is with a luminosity mask, which isn't in everyone's toolkit.
    I should have said I selected the bright green colour of the truck window and reduced the saturation and lightness (rather than the brightness). Should be more precise about what was done to act as an aid to others.

Your point is taken, a luminosity mask may have been a better option. However the green is so unique to the windows that it effectively worked as a local mask.

Real Name
    Ole

I love the colours in this image.
    Cheers Ole