Thread: Watching the watchers

Watching the watchers

This whitetail buck paused in his Sunday morning stroll to watch a passerby and his dog. I had stepped outside to fetch the newspaper and quickly grabbed a camera.
    Watching the watchersWatching them watching me by tombarry975, on Flickr

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Watching the watchers

This image has all the markings of a hastily made "grab shot". While the deer's pose is good, the tree on the left hand sixe and the out of focus green along the bottom of the frame are significant distractions in this shot.

Of course it was a grab shot, as I mentioned. I managed three frames before it was gone. I don’t get many photo ops these days, and I take them as they come. I try to be an active participant with current photos. Being housebound due to the pandemic and vulnerabilities of being old and a caregiver, I’m severely limited. I hope I can be forgiven posting the odd grab shot just because some might find it interesting.

Real Name
    Dan

I do find it interesting.

What about a tight crop to lessen the distractions? This may be too tight, but for example:

Watching the watchers

Thanks. I think the tighter crop is a good suggestion.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Barry View Post
    Of course it was a grab shot, as I mentioned. I managed three frames before it was gone. I don’t get many photo ops these days, and I take them as they come. I try to be an active participant with current photos. Being housebound due to the pandemic and vulnerabilities of being old and a caregiver, I’m severely limited. I hope I can be forgiven posting the odd grab shot just because some might find it interesting.
    Unfortunately, I can relate as I am in a similar position. My wife was receiving medical treatment and was immune-compromized until about 2 weeks before the COVID-19 shutdown hit Canada and I spent most of the past 18 months as primary caregiver. We have been pretty well housebound since early 2019, so photo opportunities have bee virtually non-existent.

I've spent most of the past 18 months concentrating on my post-processing skills so that I can get out and get some images once I am able to again.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 22nd September 2020 at 03:02 AM.

Concerned that I may suffer from compassion fatigue, I’ve contracted for a helper to come in for four hours each Wednesday to take care of my wife’s needs while I take a break. I may even get my delayed dental checkup done and maybe some photography.
    We will see how it goes.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I do find it interesting.

What about a tight crop to lessen the distractions? This may be too tight, but for example:

Watching the watchers
    I agree on the crop Dan and also toned down the wall and upped the deer's micro-contrast. Original cropped to place the deer's centroid you-know-where ...

Watching the watchers
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 21st September 2020 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Original was "Slightly more"

Real Name
    Sharon

Manfred and Tom. Sorry to read of your struggles, it’s a tough road being a caregiver (even indirect). You two have stepped up to the plate and I admire you both. True men in my book.
    Sharon
    PS Tom keep posting, your deer friends are beautiful creatures whether the shot is perfect or not.

Thank you for your very kind words.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Great; only bad think, it decided to lick its nostril, at the instant you clicked The black blurred thing in bottom left corner, challenges you "show me, if you can remove me