Thread: Two revolutionary-era doors, and the photographer

Real Name
    Dan

Two revolutionary-era doors, and the photographer

These are crude first edits of two more doors on buildings in Minuteman Park, the route the British took the day of the first battles of the revolutionary war. I did quick edits just in Lightroom and am looking for comments to help me decide whether to go the whole nine yards, which with photos like this entails photoshop and probably Nik. (I don't use Nik much, but it is a very good tool set for bringing out textures. C&C welcome. The last one is just a fun shot. I pushed the shutter speed on my little Lumix LX-100 lower than it's image stabilization could handle, at least when in the hands of someone like me. I could always redo it if it's worth doing. The place is very near my home.

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Two revolutionary-era doors, and the photographer

Oh, I like these. #1 is my favorite... beautiful textures and color. #2 the crop takes off too much of the door.
    The last one, love the idea, but the door itself isn't as interesting to me.

Real Name
    Dan

a more serious but perhaps overcooked edit of the window:

Real Name
    Ted

I like the first one which shows the whole door, plus what could be original milk-paint and has wabi-sabi -imperfection honorably earned ...

These are really interesting, and that includes the one with the photographer.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

They are all very interesting.....

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks, all. these comments helped me make up my mind. I've decided the first is a keeper, and it's in the queue for a serious edit. The second one is a discard. The window shot is in between. I may try to reshoot it, perhaps in a few weeks when the foliage in the reflection will be multi-colored, and with a better camera that can handle a higher ISO and therefore a faster shutter speed.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Interesting images Dan.

I always find it challenging to do these images because it is so difficult to get the right balance between the subject and the surrounding parts of the building. Too little and the image seems cramped and too much and it gets "lost".

The first one is the most interesting one and I wonder if a bit of asymmetry might strengthen the shot a bit, versus the centred approach?

Real Name
    Dan

Manfred,

thanks. An interesting question. I deliberately framed some asymmetrically to allow for considering this later, but unfortunately, not this one. I would have been more generous with the framing if I were using my 30 mpx 5D rather than a 12 mpx Lumix.

Dan

Real Name
    Richard

I love #1... The window is nice also but, I would like to see an image without your reflection in the glass.

I would love to visit Minuteman Park - my Wife's ancestor died from the first volley of British fire at Concord Bridge, making him one of the very first Americans to die in our Revolution...

Real Name
    Ole

I agree, the first one is a keeper. I think the problem now is to bring out the beautiful colours and textures without overcooking it.

I look forward to the final edit.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Dan

Here's the version I posted on my website. Not dramatically different, but I used Nik Color Efex to bring out texture, dodged and burned, and increased contrast in the doors.

Real Name
    André

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Here's the version I posted on my website. Not dramatically different, but I used Nik Color Efex to bring out texture, dodged and burned, and increased contrast in the doors.

I like how you brought up the texture of the door. I am less sure that the added contrast and/or brightness work for me. It gives the door an air of newness, if that is a word, that somewhat clashes with the faded wood and peeling paint.

Real Name
    Dan

Andre,

I take your point, but I think I prefer the one with a bit more contrast. All of the images I do of this sort are in one sense unrealistic: I do a lot of processing to bring out textures and colors. That's why I use Nik Color Efex for many of them, even though I rarely use it for anything else. The textures are part of the composition. And in this case, I wanted the doors to stand out more from the surroundings to give the image a central subject.

If I were only showing this online, I might go with the lower contrast, as you would. However, I've printed it, and in a print, I think the contrast boost is helpful.

Then again, it's all a matter of taste. I may come to decide differently and can always reprint it.

Dan