Thread: Much closer: a honeybee on boneset

Real Name
    Dan

Much closer: a honeybee on boneset

This is about as close as I can get with the rig I have been using this week: a 100mm macro lens, 10mm extension tube, 1.4 x extension tube, and a 7D. (the body is relevant in this kind of work only because of pixel density.) This is cropped somewhat from the right for aspect ratio and a tad from the bottom.

Much closer: a honeybee on boneset
    Last edited by DanK; 27th September 2020 at 02:40 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Much closer: a honeybee on boneset

Wow; a great close up!!!

ditto!

Real Name
    Sharon

YIKES!!! Scary and creepy all in one. Great work tho Dan.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    YIKES!!! Scary and creepy all in one. Great work tho Dan.
    There's no reason to be scared of honeybees. Both honeybees (not Africanized ones) and bumblebees are gentle creatures. if you threaten them or approach a nest, they may sting to protect themselves, but if you leave them alone, they leave you alone. Because of my bug photography--which requires that the bug be just a few inches from the camera--I've spent many hours surrounded by honeybees and bumblebees, and not once has one of them come at me.

Some wasps are quite different. I think one has to be very careful with them. Yellowjackets, for example, are easily provoked even when far from their nest, and if you stumble on their nest, they'll attack in a swarm. Some paper wasps and hornets will attack from a distance if you seem to be approaching their nest, and I've had them sting when I accidentally approached a lone one too closely. (I have to pay attention, because I'm allergic to wasp stings, but not bee stings.) However, even many wasp species will let you approach if you aren't threatening, and some, like digger wasps, seem to be terrified of people and will usually flee if you get close. I've spent some time this year photographing wasps in flowers--one can do only so many honeybees--and it's been quite rare that any of them have flown toward me.