Thread: Waking

Real Name
    Daniel

Waking

I took this last winter before the cor-19. I cropped a tight shot of walker and forgot about it. Looked at it today and put it back to its original size. Comments welcomed.

[IMG]WakingIMG_6643 by pongo now, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Waking

Sorry, this one is not working well for me. Your walker is so overwhelmed by the surroundings that he ends up being more of a distraction than a significant element in the shot.

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Manfred. That's kind of how Is felt initially. That why I made a tight crop. But I found it and other crops uninteresting. I think I was taken by the pre corona-19 city scene. I do miss it. Thank you

I think I would try just a slight crop from the top and right side.

In many ways I find the lone walker against a busy background makes an interesting scene.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Manfred. I think it might look better, if you have extra on the bottom, not to crop off the man's legs. The cropping makes him a less significant part of the scene.

One reason I agree with Manfred's comment is that you have very high contrast in the scene (large areas in which shadows have been crushed to pure blacks, and whites up to 98 of 100 in luminosity), with far less contrast and tonal range on the person, which makes him not stand out by comparison. If it were mine, I wouldn't crank up the contrast so high. But given the image as it is, I think I would try two changes: first, crop off the nearly empty space at the top, which doesn't really contribute and draws the eye away from the man, and second, darken the man to nearly a silhouette so that he attracts the eye by contrast to the surroundings. Maybe something like this:

Waking

Real Name
    Martin

I love the intensity of the image, but my eye is drawn to the bright image of the lady in the poster in the background rather than the walker. It is a very busy image. Maybe crop the image horizontally at the top of the louvres (US flag?) and crop out the silver bollard on the right hand side of the image at about the rear door handle of the car. Retain the detail in the walker.

Real Name
    Daniel

I prefer to see more of the walker. I did do some silhouettes from other photos' in this series. Ultimately I agree with Manfred that the image doesn't work. But that does not mean that there are not elements in the image that make it interesting to some viewers. Actually the second image is starting to work a bit for me. Thank you all for looking and commenting.

[IMG]WakingIMG_6643-2 by pongo now, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Daniel

Martin, If I crop to the top of the flag you loose a lot of the intensity, but it does put the focus on the walker.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    ... If I crop to the top of the flag you loose a lot of the intensity, but it does put the focus on the walker.
    Daniel, one thought would be to both reduce all the contrast outside of the figure and blur it up with quite a large radius.

Had there been some foreground and the whole figure, another would be to deliberately transform the image into a lenticular look so as to retain the figure much larger but with all of it's surroundings diminished.

Waking

Exaggerated as usual ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 28th September 2020 at 08:24 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Wandjina View Post
    I love the intensity of the image, but my eye is drawn to the bright image of the lady in the poster in the background rather than the walker. It is a very busy image. Maybe crop the image horizontally at the top of the louvres (US flag?) and crop out the silver bollard on the right hand side of the image at about the rear door handle of the car. Retain the detail in the walker.
    While it is probably not appropriate nor welcome here, I have to say it and that is I could speculate on why your attention might be drawn to that lady in the poster.

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    While it is probably not appropriate nor welcome here, I have to say it and that is I could speculate on why your attention might be drawn to that lady in the poster.
    ... because she is the brightest part of the image and that is where my eye is drawn. Honest!

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    I brought down the light on the second image but she still draws the eyes with her out stretched arms. A lot of visual competition in Time Square. She was created by very talented people to draw your attention. The walker passes it all by.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Daniel, one thought would be to both reduce all the contrast outside of the figure and blur it up with quite a large radius.

Had there been some foreground and the whole figure, another would be to deliberately transform the image into a lenticular look so as to retain the figure much larger but with all of it's surroundings diminished.

Waking

Exaggerated as usual ...
    Hello Ted, I have never used blur. Will give it a try with radius. The lenticular look is also new to me and very interesting. Thank you for your input.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    Hello Ted, I have never used blur. Will give it a try with radius. The lenticular look is also new to me and very interesting. Thank you for your input.
    You're welcome, Daniel.

I use the GIMP and was able to select around the figure then invert the selection so as to work on the rest of the image seperately. I used Gaussian blur somewhere near 2 or 3px radius, amount to taste.

The GIMP has a stack of filters -one of which is a lens effect. You select an ellipse or circle, then apply the effect.

Hoping one of your apps can do similar ...