Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A highlands challenge

Real Name
    Grahame

A highlands challenge

One of my favourite events to shoot is our annual marathon and it was disapointing when it had to be cancelled earlier in the year due to Covid. But now it's on again, but this time with a difference, up in the highlands using narrow gravel roads for 40km of the length.

Yesterday I spent 6 hours getting to and scouting out the route to assess the challenges I'll come up against finding shooting locations where it's safe to stop whilst maximising scenery oppurtunities. It's going to take a considerable amount planning.

Apart from recording many possible positions I also had a chance to test out the Nikon Z6 taking some hand held 'snaps' of scenery to see how the metering, EVF histogram and ADL tackle the harsh lit scenes.

No 1 - One of many shots to record location of shooting positions.
    A highlands challenge

No 2
    A highlands challenge

No 3
    A highlands challenge

No 4
    A highlands challenge

Grahame

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: A highlands challenge

Looks like a very attractive route, visually.

It will be interesting to understand the Z6's ability to track the runners. My understanding from photographers that do wildlife and bird photography that the DSLR still has a noticeable advantage there.

What is the date of the rescheduled race?

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: A highlands challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Looks like a very attractive route, visually.

It will be interesting to understand the Z6's ability to track the runners. My understanding from photographers that do wildlife and bird photography that the DSLR still has a noticeable advantage there.
    So far I have had one oppurtunity to shoot a fun run with the Z6 and fortunately a few of our fast runners were participating. I had two attempts at taking 8 single shots, (AF-C, BBF, Single point Dynamic), of each whilst coming towards me to being almost level and every shot was spot on. What I don't know is whether this was down to my long time experience, the cameras AF tracking ability or the 24-70S f/4 lens magic focus change speed. My cameras still also on the old firmware version prior to AF upgrades.

Last of 8 all in focus
    A highlands challenge

I have read and watched a lot regarding the Z6 AF, some of which those moaning expect to be able to place a focus point on a sportsmans face, hold the camera still and expect the focus point to automatically follow him whilst zig zagging across the frame with every shot being perfect. Perhaps that is the way some want their cameras to work but I have not found a need for this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    What is the date of the rescheduled race?
    The marathon is on the 17th October, pre sunrise start, which gives me one more play at a fun run shoot this weekend and time to consider other concerns, such as;

a) Camera/lens choice
    b) Battery power, the Z6 can eat it so my plan is to try the D800 using AAs giving me 3 batterys for the Z6.
    c) Try Aperture bracketing whilst tracking a subject as emphasing scenery will be important as well
    d) Weather protection, there's a 50/50 chance between dry and sunny to being within a cloud

YIPPIEEEEEE ! DHL just called, they have my parcel from B&H, XQD card reader, spare card and other Z6 goodies that were not due to arrive for another 10 days
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 29th September 2020 at 08:24 PM.