Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lunch at the bar

Real Name
    David

Lunch at the bar

Sneaky shot with the camera placed innocently on the bar and controlled remotely from my phone - no-one takes any notice of a phone.
    I liked the reflections and the totally natural, unposed view.

Lunch at the bar

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Lunch at the bar

I think this is a very interesting capture, but I have a few issues with the processing. First, I'd level it. The bar looks tilted, and the bricks in the back confirm that. Second, I think the contrast is overdone, in an interesting way. Here's the histogram in photoshop:

Lunch at the bar

Consistent with that, the warning in ACR shows large areas of crushed blacks. Those don't bother me. What does bother me is the loss of detail in the blown-out highlights, like the woman's arm. The histogram shows the crushing--it's the spike at a luminosity value of about 92/100. That's what's interesting--normally the clipping would be at the right end of the histogram. I can think of several ways that this could happen. But be that as it may, I think this would be a more appealing image if you were to level it and back off the contrast somewhat.

Just my taste.

The blown-out highlight on the woman’s arm is distracting, but still a good candid shot.

Real Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I think this is a very interesting capture, but I have a few issues with the processing. First, I'd level it. The bar looks tilted, and the bricks in the back confirm that. Second, I think the contrast is overdone, in an interesting way. Here's the histogram in photoshop:

Consistent with that, the warning in ACR shows large areas of crushed blacks. Those don't bother me. What does bother me is the loss of detail in the blown-out highlights, like the woman's arm. The histogram shows the crushing--it's the spike at a luminosity value of about 92/100. That's what's interesting--normally the clipping would be at the right end of the histogram. I can think of several ways that this could happen. But be that as it may, I think this would be a more appealing image if you were to level it and back off the contrast somewhat.

Just my taste.
    I agree that it's highly contrasted, but it was done deliberately - as you say, a matter of taste.

Regarding the tilt, yes, the bar is not level, I hadnt noticed it, it's up on the right and I suppose should be corrected as it's part of the main subject, but the bricks are tilted the other way, it's not slope it's perspective.

Regarding the arm, I've just gone back to the original image and there was a spot light directly over her arm, it's well over exposed in the original - no detail to get back I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Chataignier; 30th September 2020 at 03:03 PM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

What a great candid. i would have been proud of that.

I would be tempted to clone out the white spot to the left (her right) of the woman's midriff and also the bright elements on what may be a cushion cover ? extreme left, as these do draw the eye away for the marvellous image itself.

Real Name
    David

Dan : I've straightened the bar and adjusted the horizontal perspective to bring the bricks (roughly) into line - thanks for pointing it out.

Peter : Thanks for the comment and, I do agree, removing the white distractions is a good idea.

Updated version below :

Lunch at the bar

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Oh golly gosh what an image !

Now who's round is it ?...I feel I am there !

Real Name
    Dan

I think this correction, while small, improves the image noticeably. Quite a capture.

Real Name
    David

This might amuse you - it's the reflection flipped vertically

Lunch at the bar

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

They have had a few more drinks, or I have, in that image !