Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Project 52 by Geoff F

2020 Project 52 by Geoff F

Last Quarter and still limited by the ongoing virus threat which reduces the safe areas to visit, but I will continue to do what I can.

The previous quarter is here

2020 Project 52 by Geoff F - 3rd Quarter

Week 41 - Another rural scene. Increasing cloud so not the best of lighting conditions and too much movement for bracketed exposures. However, I did my best and then merged two different conversions from a single Raw image. Also, I had intended to shoot a totally different subject and was 'travelling light' so this was my only lens which meant I had to find some suitable angles.

7D with Canon 70-200 lens. 1/250 F11 Iso 400

1/500 F11 Iso 200. Slight but short lasting improvement in light levels helped with this shot.

1/400 F14 Iso 400

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: 2020 Project 52 by Geoff F

The third image is classic!!!

Thanks for the comment, Nandakumar.

Week 42. I returned to that path today, but just a little bit further on and looking in the other direction; although still with some foreground sheep.

''This is too early - come back in an hour when we are ready''

7D with Tamron 24-70 lens 1/320 F14 Iso 200. Merge of two exposures

And this is what the sheep see of that path plus a couple of those strange two legged animals.

Canon 70-200 lens 1/400 F11 Iso 400. Merge of two exposures

Week 43 - Fishing boats returning to harbour. A bit of heavy cloud cut short my wildlife recording trip but shortly after arriving back at home the weather looked to be improving so I decided to have a go at some fishing boats returning to the harbour. But the weather was in a fickle mood and by the time I found a few rather poor camera angles the light had seriously deteriorated. However, I had a go, but including the foreground rock and marker pole was rather limitating.

7D with Canon 70-200 lens. 1/500 F8 Iso 400. Then a bit of editing to try to add in a little bit of zip to the dull light scene. Finally used a Curves Layer in Soft Light mode and a bell shaped curve plus another curve for extra highlights

Another boat and the same issues.

That boat then stopped at a storebox to transfer their catch of crabs into the box.

1/640 F11 Iso 200. Now bright sunlight but that posed other problems with a harsh light angle and heavy shadows. This is a merge of two conversions from a single Raw file.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I like the third image again; the other two with the washed out water-bodies sore eyes a bit

I have had another go at one of those scenes. Moved the boat to produce a more compact scene and created a subdued level of sea brightness. Not really sure about it though. The trouble with any attempted photograph is that if you start with poor light you will be restricted in your efforts no matter what you attempt in the way of editing.

Week 44 - Some harbour scenes from the coast path

Batson Creek. I tried to find some different angles by peering through the hedge. Also took some wider (3 x 2) shots but eventually decided that I preferred these more compact scenes.

7D with Canon 70-200 lens. 1/250 F11 Iso 400. Merge of two exposures.

Tamron 24-70 lens. 1/400 F14 Iso 400. Merge of two exposures.

Salcombe Harbour from Snapes Point

24-70 lens 1/320 F14 Iso 400. Merge of two exposures.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Lovely blues and greens; beautiful scenery

Thanks Nandakumar. We don't get much in the way of autumn colours here because leaves tend to get blown away before they turn colour but this year some cooler conditions have produced a bit more in the way of autumn tints.

Week 45 - Surfing at North Sands. My intention was to photograph more fishing boats entering the harbour but I arrived a little bit early; so I had a try with these surfers. Not good conditions for photography though. The light angle was wrong for the only possible shooting position and that meant reaching over a wall while shooting between two trees. Then the weather turned cloudy with poor light so I went home with only a few not very good images of these surfers.

7D with Canon 70-200 lens 1/400 F11 Iso 400. Merge of two conversions from a single Raw file

Plus a 1.4x converter 1/500 F11 Iso 400

1/640 F11 Iso 400

Real Name
    Nandakumar

The images you got are pretty good, i feel; there is some sort of symmetry in these images, that make them not just another click

It is a bit like wildlife photography; wait for the subjects, including the waves, to arrange themselves into a suitable position then click the shutter. Extra difficult this time because my left to right vision was restricted by foliage.

Real Name
    Bruce

Geoff, for whatever reason, I've only now discovered your 4th quarter thread.

The reworked boat scene in post 6 (from week 43) works very well -- even if it is artificially manipulated!

Real Name
    Daniel

All three have a story to tell. I like the third the best. The second one if it was mine I would do a tighter crop to bring more of the focus on the surfers.

The trouble is, Daniel, that if you look too closely you will realise that there is quite a bit of 'noise' and softness in their faces. But maybe I can add just a fraction more contrast to just the faces?

Real Name
    Ted

Geoff, please don't take offense but I find most of your rural images kind of "misty" when looking with my eyes on my monitor. I'm wondering if that look is deliberate or whether some other factor is involved ...

I think, Ted, they are 'real life' scenes from this part of the world. Being in the UK south west area the air is rather 'heavy' with a fairly high moisture level and somewhat mellow pastel tints of natural foliage. Some parts of the world seem to have drier air and harsh sunlight which produces scenes with a higher contrast level.

Some people will boost the saturation and contrast levels of their images to try for more 'wow factor' but I think I am managing to control that urge and remain within the bounds of what I am really seeing in the way of natural local scenery.

For example, we never get those intense autumn colours here. Leaves turn brownish then the wind blows them away. Crisp air with perfect clarity is very much of a rarity for us and usually only happens when the wind has turned northerly for a few days. Maritime air isn't thin - it sticks to your skin.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I
    I'm wondering if that look is deliberate or whether some other factor is involved ...
    I think, Ted, they are 'real life' scenes from this part of the world. Being in the UK south west area the air is rather 'heavy' with a fairly high moisture level and somewhat mellow pastel tints of natural foliage.<>

Some people will boost the saturation and contrast levels of their images to try for more 'wow factor' but I think I am managing to control that urge and remain within the bounds of what I am really seeing in the way of natural local scenery.<>
    Sounds reasonable, Geoff. I lived in Wiltshire and Berkshire for a while, not truly south-west but I can appreciate it.

A bit different here (Texas Hill Country):

I myself teeter between rendering the scene "as is" and going well over the top ...

.. stay well!
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 30th October 2020 at 07:19 PM.

A lot drier and clearer air there I expect, Ted.

Not a lot of air pollution here but the light angle can make a big difference. I often find that anything between east and west by way of south is difficult and when facing south it is frequently impossible to get a clear image. On the other hand, looking northwards, even when a southerly angle has failed, can produce acceptable results.

That is why I frequently try to include some form of closer subject towards the foreground to produce a useable scene even when the more distant areas are suffering from a bit of air moisture blur.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    A lot drier and clearer air there I expect, Ted.
    Actually this part of Texas is mostly humid -averaging 90+ per cent during summer- because the wind is more from the Gulf of Mexico than from the North. Not so bad this time of year though:

See how it will hop up to 100% RH overnight tonight when the temperature falls quickly by about 20F.

I found this haze article quite interesting if a bit long-winded:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...s/introvis.pdf
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 31st October 2020 at 09:00 PM.

I have downloaded that article, Ted, but it will have to wait a while until I have time to really get into the technicality of the subject. But with another covid virus lockdown starting in a couple of days I suspect I will soon catch up on my outstanding personal workload.

Week 46 and a return to the same location of week 44 but this time with slightly different scenes. But a strong wind and very variable light levels caused considerable problems. The weather was rapidly changing from sunshine to patches of dense cloud and light showers.

7D with Canon 24-105 lens. 1/250 F11 Iso 400. Merge of two bracketed exposures.

1/320 F11 Iso 200. Merge of two conversions from a single Raw file.

The Fish Quay

Canon 70-200 lens. Merge of three bracketed exposures with the middle one 1/250 F11 Iso 400

And another of those 'this won't work, but I might as well press the shutter anyway' situations

1/250 F11 Iso 400 merge of two conversions from one Raw file.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast