Thread: Autumn Cottonwoods, Fog........

Real Name
    Len

Autumn Cottonwoods, Fog........

The attached image was captured recently in a broad valley of mixed prairie grass and woodland in foggy conditions. Cottonwood autumn foliage has been particularly vibrant this year.
    C&C welcome.
    Canon 5D series - ISO400, 200mm @f9 1/50s

Autumn Cottonwoods, Fog........

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Autumn Cottonwoods, Fog........

I like this a lot Len.. I wonder if bringing out the colors just a tad more would give it more pop? Also, on my left side, i think the framing is off to where you crowded and cut off a couple of the trees. Others may disagree, but more balance would maybe make it better?
    (it's a bit too small to really pull it up and look at it)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It's a gorgeous scene with interesting colours and lighting.

I agree with Sharon's comment on the overall balance of the image. The trees along the top edge that cut across of the frame are not working all that well as they draw the viewer's attention out of the frame.

Real Name
    Grahame

I very much like the scene Len, but as already mentioned it may have been possible to improve the framing.

Real Name
    Len

My thanks to Sharon, Manfred & Grahame for taking the time to offer opinions.
    The point of framing is well taken but was dictated by timing. Had I arrived on scene 10 minutes earlier the distant trees would have been still been shaded. As it was bright sunlight was just starting to illuminate the tree tops and opposite valley side which I felt would detract from the overall appeal of the "softer" light.
    Once again thank you for your input.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Fantastic image; my suggestions
    i) foreground can be reduced somewhat
    ii) If pixel density permits , the tree in the right top corner will be a stand alone image , if trimmed out(vertical)

Real Name
    Dan

I too think it's a very nice image but that it has some problems of framing.

I don't find that the trees at the top are a distraction because they are a key part of the composition, and it doesn't particularly bother me that they are cropped along the edge. I've posted on the latter issue before. (It may often be a bad idea, but if it was good enough for the likes of Renoir and Vermeer, I won't worry about it if a specific image looks good to me that way.) However, I do think the composition is out of balance. The misty area at the bottom, which is necessarily featureless, occupies close to half of the vertical distance, while the beautiful detail in the top row of trees occupies very little. That's what throws it out of balance in my view.

Real Name
    Len

Hello Nandakumar, appreciate you taking the time to add to the thread. The raw file is 32Mb so should allow for some cropping to the foreground. I agree that the top right grouping of trees could make an interesting vertical composition and will explore that option as well.
    Thanks again.

Real Name
    Len

Hello Dan and thanks for your thoughts on this image. Your Renoir and Vermeer observations are most interesting. As mentioned in post #5 the bright early morning sunlight was starting to illuminate the far valley slope. Pointing the camera down somewhat to avoid this resulted in a little more of the foreground frosted grass being included in the image. I had indeed considered cropping this area somewhat but first wanted to gather some opinions from other members.
    Once again my thanks to all who contributed.

Real Name
    Ole

I like it a lot. I do think there are a few possibilities to explore here. Have fun!
    Cheers Ole