Thread: Leo is growing

Real Name
    Richard

Leo is growing

His mom rejected him at birth and Judy has been hand feeding him ever since. He was quite premature and her motherly hormones didn't kick in.

He is a few days short of three weeks old and his eyes are open. He has graduated from eating from a syringe to a puppy bottle.

Leo is growing

He now gets fed every four hours rather than every two; which is a lot easier on Judy. She has his schedule down so that she only has to wake up once during the night to feed him. A couple more weeks and we will transition him to eating Puppy Mousse by Royal Canin https://www.royalcanin.com/ca/en_ca/...anned-dog-food which is a wonderful starter food for abandoned puppies.

I think that Leo will grow into quite a cutie...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 11th October 2020 at 07:35 PM.

Re: Leo is growing

Looks like loving care pays off!

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Oh ...kisses a thousand times

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Your dedication to these dogs is admirable. It deserves all the thanks that you get.

Real Name
    Daniel

He is so cute.

Real Name
    Sharon

Great photo and story! Thanks for sharing with us
    Do you know why mom rejected?

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Great photo and story! Thanks for sharing with us
    Do you know why mom rejected?
    I suspect that it had something to do with Leo being so premature. Her maternal hormones had not cranked in and she had no milk. Maybe if nature had been allowed to run its course, Leo might not have survived. Animals will often reject their young if they suspect that the young will not survive.
    Anyhow, Leo has a dedicated surrogate mother in my wife who is tending to his needs. He is now two or three times his birth weight and is crawling all around the puppy box.
    He really is a cutie!

This is a quickie video snippet I did of Leo for youtube...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654FoiFyM8g
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th October 2020 at 08:47 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Richard, thanks for posting the youtube link; it was interesting to see Leo kneading the air when he was nursing on the bottle.

Is Leo's mother one of your own dogs or is he a rescue that you and your wife took in?

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Cantab View Post
    Richard, thanks for posting the youtube link; it was interesting to see Leo kneading the air when he was nursing on the bottle.

Puppies often knead their moms while they are nursing...

Is Leo's mother one of your own dogs or is he a rescue that you and your wife took in?
    Leo's mom is Carmella. a rescue that we took in about a month ago...

Leo is growing

Carmella has been spayed and is in the process of being adopted right now!

BTW: Carmella's violent reaction to her puppy surprised us because she is a really mellow dog in all other aspects...

Real Name
    Richard

Leo Needs a Bath

He is transitioning from bottle feeding to puppy gruel which we prepare by grinding kibble into a powder and mixing it with puppy formula and Puppy Mousse...

Leo is growing

He laps it up but also gets quite messy while eating. He needs to be bathed every time he is fed...

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Leo Needs a Bath

Good news! Thanks for the update.

It looks like he was eating on a raised piece of furniture -- or you had your camera down near floor level. In any event, a good shot.

Real Name
    Richard

Actually Leo was on a disposable paper Pee Pee pad https://www.petsmart.com/dog/trainin...YaAvpVEALw_wcB with which we cover half of the bottom of his pen. The other half is covered with some fuzzy blankets and some plush toys (in lieu of siblings)...

Puppies seem to differentiate early between the fuzzy blankets making up the sleeping area and the Pee Pee pad on which they learn early to poop and pee. I think that rather than "learn: it is inborn not to foul their bed... It is easy to frequently change the Pee Pad, replacing it with a clean one... After the pups learn that it is fun to tear up the paper pad. we switch to washable cloth pads.

I actually had the camera almost resting on the "pee Pee" pad in order to get down to Leo's level. I really like the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens in cases like this because of its marvelous close focus ability. The lens was only a few inches from Leo when I shot his image. This lens has "almost" macro capability. The articulating LCD along with the Sony mirrorless camera's great focusing capability is also helpful. The lens focuses closest at 28mm or so, which is the reason for the distortion.

The sticky (pun intended) problem is adjusting the size and proportions of his dish. At first puppies do best with a relatively flat dish. But they tend to walk into the dish. As he gets used to eating, we will change his dish to a deeper one which will reduce his walking into the dish.

I shot an overall image of the puppy pen in which Leo lives...

Leo is growing

The pen is about 48 inches (1.2 meters) square

Leo is growing
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 21st October 2020 at 07:10 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Richard, your description brought back memories of when we fostered six kittens (and adopted their mother). For the first week after their arrival (kittens about 3 or 4 weeks old), my wife seemed to be working full time at keeping things clean, etc.

Leo is definitely cute.

Real Name
    Richard

It is a difficult and time consuming job hand feeding a puppy or kitties. I really respect my wife for doing it. It's wonderful seeing little Leo thriving when he would have otherwise died...

Real Name
    Daniel

How long will you have him? Will he be put up for adoption? He is just so cute.

Real Name
    Richard

We will put him up for adoption after he is neutered - in about two or three months...

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    We will put him up for adoption after he is neutered - in about two or three months...
    Thank you Richard for the update. Its wonderful what you and your wife are doing. Keep us posted on Leo's progress.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    Thank you Richard for the update. Its wonderful what you and your wife are doing. Keep us posted on Leo's progress.
    I will keep you updated. It is fortunate for us that Leo was a singlet pup. Imagine the time we (Judy) would have had if we needed to bottle feed six or eight pups...

Real Name
    Sharon

Nice to see little Leo doing well. Nice work to you and your wife for caring for this cute little pup.
    What kind of health issues both physical and mental might new adopters be faced with given his tough beginnings? I no immunity could be a struggle wo his mommas milk.

Real Name
    Richard

Yes he will have no mom's immunity but, we are keeping him well protected and will. of course, he will get the requisite shots when the time for them comes around...

Right now, he seems quite strong and healthy...