Thread: Tennessee Stream

Real Name
    Daniel

Tennessee Stream

I visited Tennessee a few weeks ago. I noticed when processing that there were two people standing near the center. I cropped out the right half of the image because I thought this half was more visually appealing. Comments welcomed.

[IMG]Tennessee Stream_1090735 by pongo now, on Flickr[/IMG]ook this photo.

Re: Tennessee Stream

The only bit which bothers me is those items on the flat topped rock near the centre. Possibly things belonging to the people? I find those items distracting so I would clone them out.

Everything else works fine for me; including the people.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    The only bit which bothers me is those items on the flat topped rock near the centre. Possibly things belonging to the people? I find those items distracting so I would clone them out.

Everything else works fine for me; including the people.
    I agree.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

A nice shot

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Geoff, Ted and Nandakumar for looking an commenting. Below is the uncropped image. Which one is the stronger or more appealing image? Are the colors a bit over done? Need to remove my shadow in lower left corner. A day ago I preferred the crop version but I'm shifting over to the uncropped version today.

[IMG]Tennessee Stream_1090735-2 by pongo now, on Flickr[/IMG]

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Actually i had some visual uneasiness when saw the first image, as if seeing the image with one eye closed(better say, seeing something half covered); now this is the real situation and how the image had to be; doubtless, i like this much more, because i feel a completeness of what i see
    Last edited by Wavelength; 23rd October 2020 at 02:17 PM.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Actually i had some visual uneasiness when saw the first image, as if seeing the image with one eye closed(better say, seeing something half covered); now this is the real situation and how the image had to be; doubtless, i like this much more, because i feel a completeness of what i see
    Thank you so much.

For me, the uncropped version has a great amount of nothingness in the right side foreground. In fact the whole right side lacks any real impact.

So if I was going for a different crop I would try losing the foreground up to the middle of that left side rock, which includes your shadow, then lose quite a bit of the right side to end up with something like a 5 x 4 ratio, or possibly even a square crop.

With the first crop image that tree is the main subject. Going wider tends to lose any definite subject.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Geoff. I’m going to try your crop suggestion this weekend. Not sure if I want to louse any of the rock. I do believe the first shot is too tight. Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by escape View Post
    Thank you Geoff, Ted and Nandakumar for looking an commenting. Below is the uncropped image. Which one is the stronger or more appealing image? Are the colors a bit over done? Need to remove my shadow in lower left corner. A day ago I preferred the crop version but I'm shifting over to the uncropped version today.

Tennessee Stream
    If the stream itself is the intended main subject, I see a problem in that most of the stream is in the shade, whereas other, lesser subjects are mostly sunlit -some to the point of drawing the eye e.g. the rock, the tree, the promontory, even the sky.

The colors look OK on my uncalibrated monitor to my aging eyes.

Cropped, selected shadow with a 30px feathering, messed with it, inverted the selection and messed some more.

Tennessee Stream
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 23rd October 2020 at 09:07 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

The main negative of the first image is the subject of the image appears to be the tree trunk, but that is almost featureless. So it blocks the image; in the wider perspective, this problem is overcome and at the same time, the trunk of the tree now become a strong support to the subject; of course, the new shore has little to contribute, yet there is a comforting balance
    Last edited by Wavelength; 24th October 2020 at 03:33 PM.