Thread: Okangan River Canal Autumn

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Okangan River Canal Autumn

I am in grave danger of becoming as fixated on reflections as I was on old barns. I suppose there are greater evils one could indulge in.

And in the process of weaning myself off old barns , I combined both quirks.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Okangan River Canal Autumn

WaaW...time stands still, when i am watching these....i recommend this evil to manifest in you
    (sharpened a bit too much? not sure)

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The reflections in the canal is very effective.

The barn, I find the dark side much too dark and disruptive of the visual flow in the image. I suspect some heavy duty dodging on it and its reflection might be worth trying.

Real Name
    Sharon

Please don't wean off old barns. I learn a lot from you, and I'm always scouting out here in Ashland saying I gotta come back and capture that one! Your barn photos are beautiful.
    Agree with Manfred, the shadows and dark areas reduce the effectiveness of the image.

For the other photography ...Love the Okanagan. Beautiful photograph with the reflections, it looks like it was mid day with pretty bright light. The trees on my left though, are not that interesting. I realize they frame the photograph, but wonder what it would look like without them.

Real Name
    Dan

Maybe crop the barn less tightly top and bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes to Dan's comment. The barn is slightly too tight to the edge, particularly at the top.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    (sharpened a bit too much? not sure)
    I will revisit these, oversharpening is a something i try to avoid. Might be too heavy a hand in sharpening combined with too much Structure

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    The reflections in the canal is very effective.

The barn, I find the dark side much too dark and disruptive of the visual flow in the image. I suspect some heavy duty dodging on it and its reflection might be worth trying.
    I tried shadow recovery in Capture One, but that was a Global adjustment and it turned out quite horrid. But your point is tken and perhaps I should try a more local mask. This was one of those things were I became focused on other processing and neglected a crucial bit.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    Maybe crop the barn less tightly top and bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tried to make the image less busy and all about the barn, may have to reconsider this choice.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Please don't wean off old barns. I learn a lot from you, and I'm always scouting out here in Ashland saying I gotta come back and capture that one! Your barn photos are beautiful.
    Agree with Manfred, the shadows and dark areas reduce the effectiveness of the image.

For the other photography ...Love the Okanagan. Beautiful photograph with the reflections, it looks like it was mid day with pretty bright light. The trees on my left though, are not that interesting. I realize they frame the photograph, but wonder what it would look like without them.
    I have a horde (hoard?) of old buildings I have never posted to CIC, so maybe I should do so.

I will revisit the barn, one of the things about posting to CIC is that the eagle eyes here keep me honest and catch my laziness. Good to get a slap upside the head or my knuckles rapped.

I have several other compositions of this scene. I may post one where the left bank is not present.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I tried shadow recovery in Capture One, but that was a Global adjustment and it turned out quite horrid. But your point is tken and perhaps I should try a more local mask. This was one of those things were I became focused on other processing and neglected a crucial bit.
    I tried a quick and dirty edit in Photoshop. The dark front face is so different from what's around it that quick select created clean selections of the dark side and its reflection in seconds. then with the selection active, add a curves layer. It will appear with the selection as a mask. Then just pull the curve up.

The difficulty is that it is so dark that pulling it up creates a bit of color distortion. Fixable, but more work.

Real Name
    Ted

I have a horde (hoard?) of old buildings I have never posted to CIC, so maybe I should do so.
    Apparently, 'horde' applies more to a number of people and 'hoard' more to a number of things.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/hoard-vs-horde/

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

As per comments and suggestions

I reworked the barn image to improve the dark area on the shaded side and reflection. Could not push it too far as it became a bit weird

A shot of the canal with the left bank trees not included. Composed in camera to exclude those elements

Excellent photos. I like them.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I reworked the barn image to improve the dark area on the shaded side and reflection. Could not push it too far as it became a bit weird
    This version works a lot better for me. That side of the barn is in shadow, so you need to preserve that so that the scene fits in with the other areas that are also in shade. The important thing is that we can now see the textures in the wood a lot better, with the reflection in the water cleaned up to match.

Give a bit more space along the top has further improved this shot.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    Originally Posted by tbob Okangan River Canal Autumn I reworked the barn image to improve the dark area on the shaded side and reflection. Could not push it too far as it became a bit weird
    This version works a lot better for me. That side of the barn is in shadow, so you need to preserve that so that the scene fits in with the other areas that are also in shade.
    I played with a shadow mask made from all the areas below a certain adjustable threshold, then inverted:

Then a simple global edit applies to all such areas not just the dark side of the barn and it's reflection. The threshold might be a little high for some -raising it cuts out more of the fine stuff ...

The non-inverted mask could be used for adjusting everything but the shadows.

Quick and easy ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 31st October 2020 at 05:01 PM.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Loving the first image

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Thanks for elaborating on the technique.
    That is pretty much how I did the correction, only I just confined the luminosity mask to the shaded side of the barn and its reflection. Created an inverse mask using that mask as a template. Then did all my adjustments on those two masks

Real Name
    Ted

Thanks for elaborating on the technique.
    That is pretty much how I did the correction, only I just confined the luminosity mask to the shaded side of the barn and its reflection. Created an inverse mask using that mask as a template. Then did all my adjustments on those two masks
    Living proof that Great Minds think alike, Trev.