Thread: Madrone

Real Name
    Sharon

Madrone

This and Oak -- my favorite trees I must say.

I don't know if this works. Hard to really process and the tree is just so huge.
    Was on a hike with Boy Lab.

MadroneMadrone by sharonkay finley, on Flickr

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Re: Madrone

Nice one; is there some colour cast?

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    Yes, I should tone that down for sure. Have so many variants, and some looked flat, some too much, and this one has an off tone.

Thank you for commenting and always your kind approach.

Real Name
    Sharon

This is maybe a better version without the red color cast.

Madronemadrone by sharonkay finley, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by lovelife65 View Post
    Originally Posted by Wavelength Madrone Nice one; is there some colour cast?
    This is maybe a better version without the red color cast.

Madronemadrone by sharonkay finley, on Flickr
    Not sure why we are saying "color-cast", Sharon.

There is no difference in color hue values between the two:

Madrone

Hue values extracted in the GIMP and put side-by-side in FastStone Viewer. In your second posted image, it looks more like saturation and brightness were adjusted.

Pardon my pedantry.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I don't know what is the difference technically, but i like the new edit more; too much yellow in the back ground has changed to predominating green now....

Real Name
    Dan

“Cast” isn’t a technical term, is it? I think people often use it to mean that a given hue is too saturated, not that the wrong hue is present

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Ted

I don't know what is the difference technically, but i like the new edit more; too much yellow in the back ground has changed to predominating green now....
    One factor in comparing the two images is that the second is much smoother than the first:

Madrone

So looking again at Hue in the GIMP, this time at the hue histogram of a specific area in each image I get mean values of 0.164 for the first image and 0.187 for the second, voila:

Madrone

The numbers0.164 and 0.187 are fractions of a hue circle, equivalent to 59 and 67 degrees respectively:

Madrone

From https://www.quackit.com/css/color/va...l_function.cfm

It can be seen that 59 deg is very close to yellow and that 67 deg indeed means a slight "cast" of the average hue in that area towards green which itself is much further round at 120 deg.

Nandakumar -I would take "predominating green" as meaning an average hue of 120 deg which is not the case in the second image. Pardon my pedantry ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 1st November 2020 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added note to Nandakumar

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I withdraw all my statements and conclude, i like second image more than first image for Reasons i cannot explain

Real Name
    Daniel

i like second image more than first image for Reasons i cannot explain
    Not being able to explain why we like something on occasions is so TRUE it made me laugh. Thank you

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I withdraw all my statements and conclude, i like second image more than first image for Reasons i cannot explain
    This is true of many images as what we see in an image represents many decisions by the photographer while the image was taken and post-processed. Sometimes all these little pieces add up to make an image that we like better, but we can't quite figure out why that is.

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    This is true of many images as what we see in an image represents many decisions by the photographer while the image was taken and post-processed. Sometimes all these little pieces add up to make an image that we like better, but we can't quite figure out why that is.
    And whether her like an image at all. And it’s all okay.
    Holy cow Election Day hope we don’t have all our war ../ but maybe that is what it will take to reset the US of A
    Sorry completely off topic.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I would try mucking about with some crops to see if loosing the upper part of the tree makes a stronger image. I think the upper bright sky and leaves are of minimal interest and may detract. I really like the texture, colour and tones of the main trunk and branches, maybe start with a crop just above the hole in the right hand broken branch

I hesitate to vent my opinion on how today and the next week play out. but here goes anyway
    I pray the fanatics step back from the brink, no matter who wins. I say fanatics because this has gone way beyond the rational for some. The USA is an amazing country, with great people, and I suspect the rhetoric is coming from only a few but has skewed the perception of the many to the point of insanity. The USA is too powerful and important on the world stage to slide into anarchy and disarray. Not to overstate it, but for the rest of the world it like seeing a friend slide into a meth addiction.

Real Name
    Daniel

There may be incidents after the election but that’s it. Those incidents have been happening for years. Groups of any significant size I suspect have been infiltrated. Those that are small can only produce an incident not a war. Don’t worry about an internal violent war. Way to much money out there to let anything like that to happen. Besides those guys you see on tv with flags and guns, it’s just to make a statement. They don’t look fit enough for combat and I’m sure they would rather keep there arms and legs. I wouldn’t worry about any of this.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    “Cast” isn’t a technical term, is it? I think people often use it to mean that a given hue is too saturated, not that the wrong hue is present

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don't know about it not being a technical term. I always believed it was.

I was always taught that a colour cast is an unwanted color shift (i.e. hue) in the whole image. Adobe describes it this way.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/ke...olor-cast.html

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    I don't know about [color cast] not being a technical term. I always believed it was.

I was always taught that a colour cast is an unwanted color shift (i.e. hue) in the whole image.
    Manfred, Dan:

Trouble here is that color is not just "hue" which got slipped in there. Color also has saturation along with lightness or value (sticking to the easily-understood models HSL/HSV). So the term "color cast" is doomed to live in the lexicon of unscientific photographic terminology, IMHO.

Biting my tongue as to the credibility of an article that mentions "flourescent" which is where I stopped reading (just kidding).

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    I would try mucking about with some crops to see if loosing the upper part of the tree makes a stronger image. I think the upper bright sky and leaves are of minimal interest and may detract. I really like the texture, colour and tones of the main trunk and branches, maybe start with a crop just above the hole in the right hand broken branch

I hesitate to vent my opinion on how today and the next week play out. but here goes anyway
    I pray the fanatics step back from the brink, no matter who wins. I say fanatics because this has gone way beyond the rational for some. The USA is an amazing country, with great people, and I suspect the rhetoric is coming from only a few but has skewed the perception of the many to the point of insanity. The USA is too powerful and important on the world stage to slide into anarchy and disarray. Not to overstate it, but for the rest of the world it like seeing a friend slide into a meth addiction.

Awesome suggestions Trev. I thought about the top and way too bright sky and left it anyhow. However, that's not what madrone are about, so I will play some more.
    In terms of fanatics.... well, truth is they are being fueled by the top... takes great pleasure in seeing it all play out IMO.
    I would say we are an okay country. Are we the best in the world? I don't see it that way, I don't believe in American exceptionalism. But I agree with your points and think with COVID and on top of that the breakdown of democracy or the falling apart of a nation... that would be a lot for the world to recover from.
    Peace out.