Thread: Okanagan River Canal Morning Mist. (Or not Missed)

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Okanagan River Canal Morning Mist. (Or not Missed)

I was on my way to another site when I drove past this. Got no further and spent about twenty minutes shooting to try to maximize the opportunity as it would never be replicated.

Okanagan River Canal Morning Mist. (Or  not Missed)

Went out the following morning, to shoot at the site I had planned to attend the previous morning. I guess I was wrong about the opportunity being a one off

Re: Okanagan River Canal Morning Mist. (Or not Missed)

Hi Trevor

IMHO that was a wise change of plan. The lighting and effects of it through the mist are lovely. I like the sense of depth one gets from the light shadings of the receding hills.

Real Name
    Ted

Outstanding moments, Trevor!

Apart from the aforementioned sense of depth, keeping the mist coloration is also well-done.

Would have naively white-balanced it myself ... LOL.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Great stuff. Personally I would consider cropping to remove the sky and mountain peaks. I think they compete with the mist and the bridge.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree--great shots. Good that you stopped.

This shows that there's no arguing over taste. My thought was exactly the opposite of Peter's. My reaction was that the image had lovely layers but that the layering in the mountains was too faint. So I brushed on a luminosity-only contrast adjustment, pulling the black point up at the same time. I did luminosity only to avoid accentuating the yellows. I then used the same mask on a color balance layer, increasing blue and cyan to increase the differentiation between the foreground and background. In effect, I was color grading, but by location rather than brightness. This is pretty crude, but you can see enough of the direction I was going in to see whether you might want to try something in that direction.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I prefer second image to the first, because, there the mist has a partli evaporated look, revealing what is behind; in the first image it is very thick and opaque. That is in comparison only; actually i liked both of them

Real Name
    Sharon

I LOVE the Okanagan. These photos are so wonderful Trev. So fantastic, they make me happy.

Real Name
    Daniel

I prefer the second shot. I like how the mist moves out upon the water and having the bridge in the background. Just my own taste.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It seems you have found yourself a wonderful spot for photography.

My main concern with these images is what is happening at the top of the frames. The tops of things (hills and tree) are close to touching the edge of the frame. Either crop it more tightly or give it more space to see which approach gives you a stronger image. I find what you have is adding a bit of a distraction in that part of the image.

I guess I just like mist. I like all of them, including the different adjustments.

Manfred has already mentioned my first thoughts. Too tight, or not tight enough at the top particularly with the first image. Of those two options, I think I would go for cropping slightly closer because the hilltops tend to distract from the bridge.

Nice bit of clearly focused foreground which is clear of the mist.

With the second one, there is a small spot in the top right corner; maybe sensor dust?

Otherwise, excellent images.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree that at least the first one is tight. however, I figured there probably wasn't anything to do about that now, and I think the image can nonetheless be made very attractive.,