Thread: on walks with daughter

Real Name
    David Mareček

on walks with daughter

Hello Guys,

since my daughter is now bigger(3 years) i am able to use camera on walks from time to time. It was already sun set down but we went to location which was with her not posible to visit few months ago to see if any ducks are on pond in small area which is left to be small wild reservation and was rewarded with this picture. I was without tripod so placed camera on camera bag to use longer exposure. Please provide any advices how to improve it.
    on walks with daughterRelaxing Coypu by David Mareček, on Flickr

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: on walks with daughter

It's a strong image, David. I do like the low point of view that you used.

I find that the subject that is centered in the frame is not a particularly strong composition and offsetting it a bit both horizontally and vertically would be a stronger composition. I would also remove some of those hot spots (areas of bright white) as they are distracting. This is very easy to do in post.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 8th November 2020 at 06:24 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Manfred on all counts.

I would also brighten the image and add a little more contrast. You can do this with a single curves adjustment: anchor it somewhere toward the left to avoid darkening the already-dark areas. Then pull it up near the top of the mass in the histogram. I don't think I have the vertical crop at an acceptable point below the animal, but this is the direction I'm thinking of. I removed only a few of the white spots using content-aware fill. Although it's simple, it does take time to do them all. See what you think.

on walks with daughter

Real Name
    Sharon

Very cool image, and I love Dan's edit.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Dan's edit is good, but you do not have to go for absolute symmetry (although the image calls for it !)

Here I have chosen an off centre position and no symmetry. The most important thing I feel is to lose the bright elements which draw the eye away from the subject.

on walks with daughter

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

I still missed a few !

Real Name
    Dan

A better crop than mine, methinks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    David Mareček

Thank you very much for inputs and reply's. I really like what Peter did with image and also Danīs edit is very nice, it shows that brightening and contrast was something what my original was actually missing.
    I choose middle position because reflections was making sort of natural vignette but even with bit of cropping will be hopefully still possible to keep that effect because Manfredīs right, bit of movement make it look better. More natural i think.

Real Name
    Peter Schluter

Quote Originally Posted by Marwus View Post
    I choose middle position because reflections was making sort of natural vignette but even with bit of cropping will be hopefully still possible to keep that effect
    Vignette is very easy to add in PP

Real Name
    Ole

My instinct told me that the initial image would turn into a very good image. I do not know why!
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I would like the original image and the only change i would prefer is to trim the image to make the subject a bit off center. I think our eyes permit only that much detail of the creature which has a soothing feeling; the edits show harsh details and a bit brighter too...

Real Name
    David Mareček

Quote Originally Posted by pschlute View Post
    Vignette is very easy to add in PP
    Yes, it is and it is used on image already. I process raw file it in Rawtherapee where is simple tool for it but what i meant is overall shadows and colors which was already present on position(site). This pond is really small so it possible to see on back side of image reflection of roots of trees and bushes which make that sort of vignette feeling. I had few other pictures but from other positions but decided for this one because of that reflection behind.

Real Name
    Ted

A good moment, David.

My main comment is that the image is over-sharpened causing each hair and whisker to have stair-case effect. Then the green colors in the reflection are a little bright drawing attention away from the animal. Then I find the animal looks small in the frame. With the reflection, the dividing line looks OK centered vertically but perhaps the animal moved a little towards camera left:

on walks with daughter

In GIMP: Applied global gaussian blur 0.5px. Reduced green saturation -56 and green lightness -21. Cropped. Bright spots toned down but are still distracting.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I like Ted's edit

Real Name
    David Mareček

Final version of photo. Well, final for now. Thank you all for advice's.
    on walks with daughterNutrie by David Mareček, on Flickr