Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Photographers

Real Name
    Rob Jones

Great Photographers

Over the years I've met or come across some outstanding photographers both pros and amateurs.
    Claude Tenot is a very talented Swiss portrait photographer. I lost touch with him a few years ago but his work can still be found on Flickr, I guess he left them there because he's not updated it for years!
    Claude assured me that his colour work is digital but he somehow seems to replicate colours of Kodachrome.
    I still browse his images for inspiration to this day.
    It's nice I think to appreciate great photography. He disabled image sharing so you will have to visit his page
    Here is a link to his Flickr page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/blandi...th/2560158989/

Feel free to add your favourite photographers in this thread too!

Real Name
    Rob Jones

Re: Great Photographers

If you're not impressed.....
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/benbjorn/

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by senojbor View Post
    If you're not impressed.....
    I don't think it has anything to do with impressed or not impressed. We all have photographers whose work we like and both of the photographers you have posted here have done some nice work.

The difference between what I see from these two photographers and what I see produced by people I know is these two appear to have a decent budget to work with. This suggests they had access to studio or suitable locations, lighting gear, sets, models, makeup artists, etc. I have a number of friends and acquaintances that produce work of this calibre.

Some of the members of this site have shown that they are capable of producing work of this quality.

Real Name
    Rob Jones

I have no doubt but the members of the forum may not have come across these exceptional photographers.
    I hope that's okay with you?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I have no doubt but the members of the forum may not have come across these exceptional photographers.
    I hope that's okay with you?
    I personally have no issues with anyone pointing out work of photographers whose work they like. I suspect that the reason that you are not getting a lot of comments is that most members of this site are generally not portrait photographers.

Real Name
    Richard

I like Claude Tenot's sensual style of portraiture...

Real Name
    Dan

I'm not a portrait photographer, but I find some of Tenet's work both appealing and interesting. Benjamin Bjorn's leaves me cold. Many of his photos look overprocessed and unreal, and the look just doesn't appeal to me.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    <> Benjamin Bjorn's leaves me cold. Many of his photos look overprocessed and unreal, and the look just doesn't appeal to me.
    By coincidence, I've just coined an acronym on a another forum. WYSINWIG -What You See Is Not What I Got. I intend to use it for any of my stuff that's over-processed, rescued failures, or of course faux coloration.

From the Bjorn link, this juxtaposition looks unintentionally naughty, LOL:

Great Photographers

Mods: please delete if inappropriate ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 12th November 2020 at 11:01 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree. I don't find photos that make people look like they're constructed out of some sort of slightly shiny polymer appealing.

Real Name
    Rob Jones

I do too Richard. He did upload his images in larger sizes at one time which were fabulous in detail.

Real Name
    Rob Jones

I like to look at peoples work to understand, admire and learn. I came across a few recently. One a Glasgow street photographer named Leanne. She takes random shots of ordinary people and loads pics in large sizes. By the look of some peoples faces they are not expecting being photographed! he shot an 100 stranger project, which was widely acclaimed
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lkbphotographic/

Real Name
    Mariah hernenez

Yes her pictures are great, but the edits she do is a little back dated and that is why I do not follow her any more.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by mariah View Post
    Yes her pictures are great, but the edits she do is a little back dated and that is why I do not follow her any more.
    Interesting. What are "back-dated edits" and how are they different to current edits?

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    Interesting. What are "back-dated edits" and how are they different to current edits?
    I think she means "outdated" or "old-fashioned." I was going to ask what's old-fashioned about the edits.

It's an interesting collection for another reason. Some, e.g., "toeing the line", are interesting (IMHO) as compositions. Most aren't. Most are just straight-on headshots with backgrounds that aren't relevant. What makes them interesting is the faces themselves, not the photograph.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I suspect back-dated is simply stating that these are quite old images. When I look at the dates the images were uploaded, the most recent Tenot image was posted in early 2016. If the Flickr site is correct, Bjorn died in 2013, so no more posts from him either.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Most are just straight-on headshots with backgrounds that aren't relevant. What makes them interesting is the faces themselves, not the photograph.
    Most of the most recent images that Leanne Boulton has posted do nothing for me; the backgrounds in many are either distracting or don't seem to fit with the subject. In my view, good street photography needs to tie the subject and the background together to deliver impact.

The vast majority of the most recent postings look more like grab shots than serious, well thought out and well executed street photography.

Real Name
    Ted

I think she means"outdated" or "old-fashioned". I was going to ask what's old-fashioned about the edits.
    Yes, I too was asking about the edits themselves, not when the pictures were taken.

Perhaps there is a style of editing that is considered "outdated" or "old-fashioned".

Like adding a pronounced vertical vignette and colorizing to sepia ... Just kidding ...

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Yes, I too was asking about the edits themselves, not when the pictures were taken.

Perhaps there is a style of editing that is considered "outdated" or "old-fashioned".

Like adding a pronounced vertical vignette and colorizing to sepia ... Just kidding ...
    I strongly suspect Google translate or some similar translation software is the root cause of this confusion...

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

I like to look at peoples work to understand, admire and learn. I came across a few recently. One a Glasgow street photographer named Leanne. She takes random shots of ordinary people and loads pics in large sizes. By the look of some peoples faces they are not expecting being photographed! he shot an 100 stranger project, which was widely acclaimed . . .
    Indeed "random".

Widely acclaimed by whom?

My view is that any 'acclaimed' Street Portraiture, as a fundamental, requires both Purpose and Context which are relatable to the Subject and to the Environment.

WW

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Great Photographers
    Stage Door - circa 1976 – Kodachrome 25, (scanned) Minolta 35mm Format / 135mm

Great Photographers
    Mother and Child – circa 2008 Canon 5D / 85mm

Great Photographers
    After the Concert - Subway, Vienna Austria - circa 2016, Fuji x100s

WW
    All Images © AJ Group Pty Ltd Aust 1996~2020 WMW 1965~1996

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast