Thread: Overlooking the Heathcoate River NZ

Real Name
    Peter

Overlooking the Heathcoate River NZ

Well its raining again here, so I get the chance to have a rummage into my image archive. This is an image from 2017 that I have recently processed.

I would like to have more detail visible of the distant hills. However my processing skills have failed me, I have tried but I just don't seem to be able to produce an acceptable edit.

I would welcome any suggestions on how best to achieve some detail to the distant hills?

Exif: ISO100, f14, 1/80 sec.

Original Posted Image

My reprocessed version

Last edited by ST1; 5th December 2020 at 04:34 PM. Reason: second image added

Real Name
    Ted

Re: Overlooking the Heathcoate River NZ

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    I would like to have more detail visible of the distant hills.

I would welcome any suggestions on how best to achieve some detail to the distant hills?

I'm thinking that the hills would have to be selected and then have smart enhancement applied.

I tried 3 methods in the GIMP's tone-mapping drop-down sub-menu.

I tried one method in Fiji/ImageJ (top left).

I could have tried RawTherapee but it can only do global adjustments, so that would involve using layers and masks to blend the hills appropriately with the original.

I simply selected the upper third rather than messing about with the lasso and feathering, etc.

Of the four, I prefer the top left (Contrast-Limited Adaptive Histogram Enhancement) although the bottom left (Retinex) was a close second - observe it's color "restoration" in the foothills. See each pane filename caption for the type of enhancement.

In general, you must be able to select only the hills and thereby edit them separately from the rest of the image.

HTH.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 4th December 2020 at 05:27 PM.

Any area which is out of focus or hidden by haze will be difficult to improve and still remain natural looking.

I might try, working on a duplicate layer with masking, to use a Dehaze Filter (if available) or alternatively mess about with a Curves adjustment to darken the shadows a little. Possibly just selecting an adjustment, such as Curves, and lightly applying a change of Blend Mode plus some reduction in the layer opacity. Maybe something like Soft Light Blend Mode at around 50% opacity? Once again, using some feathered edge masking. Multiply Blend Mode or Overlay might be alternatives although then can be a bit on the harsh side at times.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Any area which is out of focus or hidden by haze will be difficult to improve and still remain natural looking.

I might try, working on a duplicate layer with masking, to use a Dehaze Filter (if available) ...
    I use DeHaze quite a lot in RawTherapee but, in this image, it only seems to help the mid-ground -leaving the hills pretty much as-is:

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I use DeHaze quite a lot in RawTherapee but, in this image, it only seems to help the mid-ground -leaving the hills pretty much as-is:

You'd have to use masking, as Geoff suggested.It's such a narrow band (vertically) that I think it would be tough to do, but if the image is blown up on screen to make small adjustments easier to see, it might be possible.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I use DeHaze quite a lot in RawTherapee but, in this image, it only seems to help the mid-ground -leaving the hills pretty much as-is
    Seems like there's very little "detail" to start with (selection in GIMP X800pct):

Stretching the histogram doesn't do much for it:

Open this one in the LyteBox - then click back and forth to compare ...

Real Name
    Peter

Thanks Ted, Geoff and Dan for your thoughts and input.

I have spent a little time reprocessing the image and posted the reworked image in my first post above. I used a rectangular selection (feathered) of the area I wanted some more detail in. I then created a new "Levels" adjustment layer with that selection and used that layer to bring out some detail by moving the black and mid points. Finally I painted black on to the mask to remove the areas of the rectangular selection that were outside of the distant line of hills then brought down the opacity of the adjustment layer and a slight colour balance change creating the second image in post #1 above.

I appreciate all of the effort and ideas that you suggested, thanks again.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
    Thanks Ted, Geoff and Dan for your thoughts and input.

I have spent a little time reprocessing the image and posted the reworked image in my first post above.
    A good job well done, Peter!

Glad to be of assistance ...

Your edit has much better all round colour, Peter.