Thread: Red Hill

Real Name
    Martin

Red Hill

I took this image about two years ago, late one afternoon in the Vulkathunha - Gammon Ranges National Park in the far north of South Australia. There is beauty in the stark, dry landscape but the bright red hill that appeared from nowhere was a surprise.

Red Hill

Real Name
    Sharon

Re: Red Hill

I like this photograph. One thing I’d probably do is crop mote to my right of the photo t focus on just the tree and the red hill.
    Merry christmas

I agree with Sharon. That tree is well to the left without anything on the right side to create a balance, although you will lose a bit of sky. However, a little careful cropping will retain sufficient sky to create a pleasing scene.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Matin - it's almost as if you have two images in the same frame. The tree on the left hand side and the red and other hills.

The balance is just not quite working for me; the crop on the left is very tight and the hills on the right hand side are overwhelmed by the tree. I would be tempted to move more in this direction; with a hard crop on the right hand side and a build up of a bit on the left hand side so that the tree is not quite so close to the edge of the frame. That centres the tree trunk a bit more than I would like.

Red Hill
    Last edited by Manfred M; 25th December 2020 at 09:40 PM.

Real Name
    Martin

Thank you for your comments, Sharon, Geoff and Manfred. I believe I have taken your comments on board with my amended image . In hindsight, I probably should have taken a pace or two to the right and opened up the distance between the tree and the red hill; so that the tree trunk and the hill fell on the "thirds."

Red Hill

That looks like a better composition to me, Martin.

Real Name
    Dan

For what it's worth, I would go roughly midway between Manfred's crop and yours. I find the higher hill and green on the far right of your crop draws the eye away from the tree and red mound. So I would do something like this:

Red Hill

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Wandjina View Post
    Thank you for your comments, Sharon, Geoff and Manfred. I believe I have taken your comments on board with my amended image . In hindsight, I probably should have taken a pace or two to the right and opened up the distance between the tree and the red hill; so that the tree trunk and the hill fell on the "thirds."
    Hindsight is always wonderful, but usually not terribly useful unless one has plans to revisit the site. I find your latest image still has a balance issue and prefer my and Dan's crops.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Wandjina View Post

Red Hill
    In spite of the post title, the tree appears to me as the main subject, so here is my take for what it's worth:

Red Hill

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Beautiful image; just wished that the tree stretched that branch in opposite direction!!!

Real Name
    Ole

Just my two cents worth. I prefer Dan's and Ted's crops.
    Cheers Ole

Real Name
    Martin

Thank you all for your comments. I will settle on Ted and Dan's crops.
    .... and a final view of Red Hill in the late afternoon

Red Hill
    Last edited by Wandjina; 30th December 2020 at 03:40 AM.