David

Sunrise in b/w

A mono version of the sunrise posted a week or so ago :

Sunrise in b/w

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Sunrise in b/w

Another nicely crafted image, David.

I personally prefer the original colour version of this image, mainly because the colour contrast helps with tonal separation with all those green areas. That being said, the sun is so dominant in both images that it distracts the viewer from the rest of the image.

The B&W version seems a bit "hot" to my eyes. I suspect bringing down the mid-point and burning down some of the "hot" foreground areas might be worth considering.

Real Name
    Dan

I agree with Manfred. However, pulling down the midtones with a levels tool doesn't work very well because it affects areas that I, at least, wouldn't want to darken. I would just burn and drop the output on the levels to about 250 or so. There isn't anything to do with the sun because it's completely burned out; darkening it substantially by burning will just turn it gray.

Here's a quick and dirty with just burning and dropping the output whites to 250:

Sunrise in b/w

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Nice image; i would like to see the original, which i think, i missed to see

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I agree with Manfred. However, pulling down the midtones with a levels tool doesn't work very well because it affects areas that I, at least, wouldn't want to darken. I would just burn and drop the output on the levels to about 250 or so. There isn't anything to do with the sun because it's completely burned out; darkening it substantially by burning will just turn it gray.

Here's a quick and dirty with just burning and dropping the output whites to 250:
    That is one reason I rarely use the levels tool and do my mid-point adjustments with curves; more flexibility. I also agree that I would do some dodging and burning to tweak some of the other areas in the image.

Sunrise in b/w

Real Name
    Dan

I agree, a curve is more flexible, but that wasn’t the issue in this case. The issue was small midtone bits scattered throughout areas I didn’t want to darken, in particular, some of the grassy areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I agree, a curve is more flexible, but that wasn’t the issue in this case. The issue was small midtone bits scattered throughout areas I didn’t want to darken, in particular, some of the grassy areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agreed; that is why we both dodge and burn in addition to making global changes.

Real Name
    raymond

With the input and some changes this could be a great capture.