Thread: Autumn Leaf - breaking some "Rules"

Real Name
    Ted

Autumn Leaf - breaking some "Rules"

Posted bigger than 1600px
    Not shot with a CaNikony
    Shot with a cheap Sigma 17-50mm zoom
    Close-up shot at f/2.8
    Shot under a domestic cool white LED in full-spectrum i.e no UV-IR blocking filter
    Incandescent in-camera White Balance
    Embedded JPEG processed in FastStone Viewer
    Not color-balanced in post
    No dodging or burning
    Object dead-center

Voila:

Comments/critiques welcome.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 20th January 2021 at 09:30 PM.

Re: Autumn Leaf - breaking some "Rules"

Interesting idea. Maybe I would clone out the holes in the leaf and a few small spots on the cloth background. Probably better without that crease in the background?

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Interesting idea. Maybe I would clone out the holes in the leaf and a few small spots on the cloth background. Probably better without that crease in the background?
    Thanks Geoff. I agree about the spots on the cloth and the crease - it was a quick shot that came out well enough to post as-is with no detail adjustments.

Cloning out the spots and the crease might not be so easy if one wants to keep the Foveon-rendered weft and warp aligned ...

I used the cloth because it was in a complementary color and readily to hand. Might be better on a plain paper background with adjusted HSL.

I'll be keeping the leaf's imperfections though.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 17th January 2021 at 07:34 PM.

Real Name
    Nandakumar

I think a Natural diffused light would have been better

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
    I think a Natural diffused light would have been better
    Natural diffused light from say an overcast sky would have reduced the shadow tones and also the contrast but please remember that I shot with a full-spectrum camera so infra-red would have had an effect, too.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

How much IR does a white LED produce? I thought that they were generally biased towards the blue end of the spectrum, not the red end.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred M View Post
    How much IR does a white LED produce? I thought that they were generally biased towards the blue end of the spectrum, not the red end.
    There are many many varieties of "a White LED", Manfred.

Here's my 3500K LED studio lights, FWIW:

As you can see - very little NIR emission but a lot of orange/red ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 18th January 2021 at 11:14 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thanks Ted. Surprisingly large drop off in the blues but certainly a decent bit of IR in the 700 - 725nm range.

Real Name
    Ted

Thanks Ted. Surprisingly large drop off in the blues
    The reason for that is that the bare photo-emitter gives out a 450nm peak with approximately a normal distribution each side - perhaps from 400 to 500nm. All the other output upwards is from phosphor coatings starting from, say, 470nm.

but certainly a decent bit of IR in the 700 - 725nm range.
    That range is somewhat debatable, Manfred, (terminology). Some might just call it "really red".

Many sources quote "visible" as going up to 770 or 780nm and IR is beyond that. But, as I'm sure you know, "visible" light doesn't stop dead at 700nm. So, for example, 800nm of near IR at sufficient power could be visible even to the average human - might hurt though.

Pardon my pedantry ...
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 20th January 2021 at 09:32 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    The reason for that is that the bare photo-emitter gives out a 450nm peak with approximately a normal distribution each side - perhaps from 400 to 500nm. All the other output upwards is from phosphor coatings starting from, say, 470nm.

That range is somewhat debatable, Manfred, (terminology). Some might just call it "really red".

Many sources quote "visible" as going up to 770 or 780nm and IR is beyond that. But, as I'm sure you know, "visible" light doesn't stop dead at 700nm. So, for example, 800nm of near IR at sufficient power could be visible even to the average human - might hurt though.

Pardon my pedantry ...
    Thanks Ted - I'm aware of the arbitrary definition of the boundaries of the visible spectrum and have read that there are some people (seems to be primarily females) that can see into wavelengths that are nominally into the near IR and near UV. Us older guys, less so...

I had also read that phosphors are used in some white LEDs to produce "white". The ~450nm spike on the graph obviously corresponds to the actual emissions of the LED. Nice to see that the output does not have the colour spikes we see with fluorescent light sources. I expect that is related to being able to fine tune the phosphors as so little is required in an LED versus "affordable" materials used in fluorescent lights.

Real Name
    Ted

I had also read that phosphors are used in some white LEDs to produce "white". The ~450nm spike on the graph obviously corresponds to the actual emissions of the LED. Nice to see that the output does not have the colour spikes we see with fluorescent light sources. I expect that is related to being able to fine tune the phosphors as so little is required in an LED versus "affordable" materials used in fluorescent lights.
    Quite so. Out of interest, I started with these 5000K LED floods but got tired of coping with the obvious blue cast:

They are now doing well as yard lights.
    Last edited by xpatUSA; 20th January 2021 at 11:03 PM.